Folks, I need a USB DAC replacement; rig details below

dmcs414

DMCS414, where are you in the DFW area? If you would like to test out a couple of cheap USB DACs, I've got a Pico DAC only and a Monica USB.

I also have an Audio-gd NFB3 that's my prime DAC now. If I ever get off my butt and order a couple parts, I've got most of a pair of Bantams

ready to go as well.

I'm in Plano; Shops of Legacy to be specific. But hell, I'd be happy to come wherever you are and bring my stuff. I'd welcome the chance to both meet another local into this hobby of ours and would be extremely grateful to try out the Pico (and your other DACs) with my CTH/TP setup.

I wouldn't recommend the Predator in this case because it has no line-out to feed into the CTH amp. The D12 has a line-out and dual Wolfson WM8740 DACs, if he needs a portable DAC and amp combo, which I don't recall him mentioning needing an amp or portability. The Pico DAC-only would be closer to a desktop DAC to feed the CTH, and can still be combined with a portable amp if needed later. I'm also fairly impressed so far with the Audioengine D1 24/96 USB/Optical DAC and amp, which has a line out. It uses an AKM4396 DAC, and costs about $170.

EDIT - if the DAC doesn't need to be portable, then the HDP is a pretty good DAC for the price, with the bonus of a decent built-in headphone amp which sounds identical to the balanced RSA protector (although a little aggressive sounding). It will still sound better feeding the CTH amp, unless you run it with a Sigma 11 PSU which really improves the tone and soundstage of the built-in amp noticeably.

That's correct. I'm more than happy with my CTH and am primarily looking for a good desktop solution (albeit one that isn't huge so I can bring it to a meet if the mood strikes me) but it will live most of the time at home. I know the Pico would work for me because Gary uses it with his TPs and I trust his judgement. I really liked a slightly larger DAC I heard in Austin a few months ago though too, the PS Audio DL3, but it's kinda pricy so I've wavered a bit on that one.

Thanks for the advice all.

I'm in Plano; Shops of Legacy to be specific. But hell, I'd be happy to come wherever you are and bring my stuff. I'd welcome the chance to both meet another local into this hobby of ours and would be extremely grateful to try out the Pico (and your other DACs) with my CTH/TP setup.

You have a PM. The Pico is a pretty good bang for the buck DAC. If i hadn't of gotten a steal on the NFB3, it would still be in use.

I just had a conversation at the Club Polk website about DACS. It's hard to choose one anymore with all the new ones coming out.

The reality of the DAC world is higher priced ones sound better(with a few exceptions). You have to just stop when the money runs out!

Peachtree Dacit. Thoughts?

http://www.musicdire...tree-dacit.aspx

APTDACITS.jpg

Specifications: Inputs: 1-USB, 1-coax, 1-optical

Outputs: 1-L&R RCA

DAC: ESS Sabre32 9022

Output: 2v

Output impedance: 200 ohms

S/N:120dB

Ground isolation: Transformer coupled inputs

USB isolation: Galvanic

Power supply: External 100-240v, 50-60Hz, 9V-1A

Jitter at master clock: < 3ps

Power consumption: 1w

Chassis and housing: All metal

Remote control: Included

Dimensions HWD: 2 ½” x 6 ½” x 6 ½”

Edited by jvlgato

• 1 month later...

Instead of starting a new thread I'd figure I'd ask here.

With my thinkpad busted and impending shoulder troubles I will probably be springing for a MacBook air rather soon. I have a crack and a torpedo to feed. Unless the MBA does spdif out, I'm assuming I'd be limited to USB. I have heard and very much liked the emotiva dac. It is all of $250 shipped. I had a gamma 2 dac built by misterx which I found clean but too sterile. I've previously had a parasound 1100 I think which was ok. However of those 3 I found the emotiva to be my favorite.

Were I to make to make a jump in the Mac pool, the apogee duet comes to mind as a highly regarded dac from a while back but it hasn't really been spoken of in a long time I don't think. Was it just the fotm?

John posted the peachtree audio Dacit but I have a faint recollection of him not liking it (?) or maye I'm just imagining things. Cambridge? Schitt? Denon? Arcam?

Budget of $600. Used is better. Should I just go for the emotiva unit for $250 or try something else? I'm willing to go the USB to spdif but would prefer to keep things to USB if possible unless there is a glowing recommendation for the former.

Projected gear - MacBook air, torpedo, crack, hd650, Jh16. Might try some grado stuff since it supposedly sounds good with the torpedo. I have found them to be rather bright every time I got them so perhaps something entirely new...

You're right, I didn't love the Peachtree. Too edgy, sibilants a little harsh, a fair amount of listener fatigue ... but maybe the Arête was too detailed/dry, and therefore a bad match? I was able to exchange it at Crutchfield for an Arcam rDAC, and I like it much more. It's much smoother and more musical, not the last word on detail, but it's pretty enjoyable. I think I can live with it for a while for the price. Though I'll say I'm keeping my eyes open for the next great small sized DAC. I'd like to hear a Lavry, maybe an Apogee, for when the audio budget is not on empty.

For $600 you definitely should get the duet 2. By all reports, it's fucking fantastic. Then you can report back here and let us know what you think. Or stretch the budget a bit and get a Steinberg UR824. Also, report back on that when you do, because that's on my "to purchase soon" list. After I quit investing in stupid synthesizer gear.

Dan I was reading about the duet 2 last night and it has features that I don't think I need (like oled everything) but I might be wrong. Are there any updates/improvements in the dac section or is it just a prettier duet with more input/outputs. I've never heard of the other dac you mentioned. Will look into that.

Tmoney I don't have any dac at the moment.

The Dacit is out then. Will read about the Arcam.

who cares if it has features you don't need, if it has features you do need (like good sound) Anyway, the dac is apparently much improved, plus it's USB and not firewire, so you actually could use it on the air.

The steinberg is a usb version of the MR816CSX

If you do not need the portability the Emotiva is a no-brainer as Steve said. I use one at work (which I bought from you :) ) and the other in the home office. The Duet 2 is on my short list but it will have to beat the Pico DAC/Amp, which so far has stood up quite well.