Black Sabbath Reunite For NEW Album + Tour

roadtonowhere08

Source (Among Many Others): http://www.black-sabbath.com/news/index.html

I have to post this because Ozzy/Sabbath got me into music.

Sure, they will not be at the top of their game live due to their age, but I am very curious about the album. Could be great, could be bad. As long as Ozzy stays away from the writing and lets Tony and Geezer do their thing, it certainly has a chance.

I will always see Sabbath live, because to this day, I have never heard such an awesome live guitar sound as Tony's. That alone, is worth the price.

Going to be interesting...

My wife and I were planning to see them on the tour they did with Dio singing about 5 years ago, but she was so sick from pregnancy that we were not able to go. Now Dio is dead, and we won't get the chance again. :(

So, go forth and see them. Aging rockers are dropping like flies, and this may be your last chance. Different genre, but I'm going to see Gordon Lightfoot in a few weeks for the same reason - each tour he does has a higher chance of being his last (well, obviously).

Nothing worse than over the hill rockers trying to rock, still Ozzy is one funny fucker smile.png Maybe they should bill it as a comedy tour.

I couldn't disagree more. I saw the original lineup of Twisted Sister reunited in 2005. I thought they would be washed up, not even all that great at their peak in the '80s, and ultimately just going through the motions to fund their multiple (one assumes) divorces and/or addictions. The only reason I attended was because it was a free concert at Edmonton's city fair, and I figured, like you, that it would be comedic if nothing else. To my surprise, they put on an amazing show. They played "We're Not Gonna Take It" near the start of the set, and then challenged anyone who only came to hear that song to leave. I didn't see anyone leaving.

And I don't think anyone who has seen Iron Maiden recently would call their show over the hill, even if the band members themselves are.

Yeah, Ozzy is very hit or miss. His voice on his last solo tour was pretty good - MUCH better than the disaster of many Ozzfest 2004 dates. I doubt he will ever top his performance on the Reunion album. I've read that there was no fudging with vocals after the show. I could be wrong about that, but he sounded GREAT considering he was never really a great live singer.

Tony and Gezzer will always be great. Bill, while not what he was, is still pretty good.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

I know I'll probably get slammed for this, but I always preferred Black Sabbath with Ronnie James as the front-man. He certainly had the chops for metal and if I were to form a fantasy metal band, he would get singing duty. The Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell are 2 of my all time favorite albums.

He certainly is the better singer; however, I could never really get into post-Ozzy Sabbath. I think Dio and Sabbath are great apart, but together they represent genres that do not really mix that well - at least to me. Sabbath is loved for that bluesy sludge sound (at least in their more famous albums) and Dio for more of the dramatic... well, Dio metal sound. Dio's singing style and Tony's guitar together never clicked with me.

This topic makes me laugh, because a former student of mine is a HUGE Dio fan and likes to jab me about being more into Ozzy than Dio. laugh.png

I know I'll probably get slammed for this, but I always preferred Black Sabbath with Ronnie James as the front-man. He certainly had the chops for metal and if I were to form a fantasy metal band, he would get singing duty. The Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell are 2 of my all time favorite albums.

Hey eccles, I agree with you. Have you ever heard Nils Patrik Johansson? He sings in Astral Doors and Wuthering Heights, and IMO he's got a better Dio voice than Dio did. And yes, I know that may be considered blasphemy.

Edited by acidbasement

• 2 months later...

The only reason to see Sabbath live now would be to hear Tony and Geezer. I was never a huge Bill fan, but I very much respect him, and he seems like a nice guy. Ozzy, though I still love the guy, will never be what he was, but like you said, Sabbath without Ozzy is not my thing.

I have to say, even though the public knows jack about this contract debacle, I am totally on Bill's side here. The differences between his letter and the Sabbath response is all I need to know. He might not be able to finish the tour, but at least set up the contract to split the money equally until he can no longer continue. Then give the replacement what Bill would have earned. Problem solved.

I still want to hear what they can do in the studio. Might not be great, but at least it will satisfy my "what if" curiosity.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an emoticon for throwing up ones hands in frustration?

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/black-sabbath-cancel-reunion-tour/62099/

I hope Tony feels better, first and foremost. They should just call it quits if and when he feels good to go. Only then should they think about going on. Having said that, so much money has already been invested, so I suppose this is them making the best of it. The odd part is the lack of a mention of a replacement for Bill Ward...

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I get that, but she is a spiteful woman, so I would not put it past her. She is not beyond reproach.

I also get that Bill is not in the best health, but they are only three dates, and they are weeks apart. People want to see all four together. Perfection (or even a level that once was) is obviously forgiven in this case, otherwise Ozzy would not be allowed on stagelaugh.png

When Dickey Betts got the boot from the Allman Brothers, everyone (on the outside) was shocked and horrified, and way on dickey's side. Except that things were awful on tour because of him, and if they hadn't kicked him out, they probably would have stopped touring. After being around that, I'm not going to judge a band for not wanting every surviving member around just because they're not dead from their vices yet.

And Geezer's letter seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Well, the first show went on without Bill.

They sound great, all things considered. Ozzy sound sounds remarkable, but it is only one show. If his voice is on, the show will always kill. God bless Tony, NOBODY will ever beat his live tone. Him and Geezer are the real draw at this point.

Tommy Clufetos, while still doing a good job, was not Bill. It's not that Bill is a virtuoso, but he had a certain sound that went so well with Sabbath that nobody ever matched.