What are you Grilling now?

Edwood

Thanks all. Probably should have posted elsewhere. She's been admitted again. Gail didn't get home until 4 a.m. My non-professional opinion is the chemo she is now on is more likely to kill her than the cancer. The lesions, which are the reason she is now on this chemo, are on the adrenal glands and causing a bunch of issues with her hormones. She rallied last week after 5 days in the hospital and I'm sure she will do it again. I just feel like we are watching the end and it's just not easy. I really hope I am wrong about this. I'm wrong about so many things, this needs to be one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, Ed! Are you working at home or how do you keep that thing going all day?

Yeah, I'm at home. Between projects now. So I pretty much have the day off. Kind of nice to have time off finally.

The Auber Instruments temp controller has been quite reliable, so I could leave it unattended, but I haven't worked up the courage for that one yet. I do have my Panasonic NetCam on it, so I can check the temps on my phone while out and about. I just make sure to load it up with a nice charcoal lump and apple wood load, and it's good to go completely untouched for the whole cook, and even longer still. There's always unburned charcoal leftover, even after 10 hours.

So pretty much, I spend the first hour making sure the temps are stabilized, and then I can just leave it alone until it's time for the final glaze at the end.

I get it. I had not understood what that thing was and thought it was just a remote thermometer, which I bought recently for the Traeger. That seems to work damn well if it will stay close to temp for 10+ hours.

Yeah, if you look at the bottom of my Big Steel Keg in the pic above you can see the fan attachment (with the wire coming from it, attached to the bottom metal vent opening). It pulses the fan, on and off, to regulate the temperature.

Here's a pic of the set up I use when cooking turkey, or anything that requires specific "doneness" temps for moderately long cooks.

Edwood_BigSteelKeg_Grilling_SetUp_01.jpg

So the Auber controls the temps, and I have a Maverick ET-732 for remote temperature monitoring with the thermometer probe stuck in the meat.

Eventually I'd like to make some kind of custom table for the Keg to rest in, and give me some counter/ workspace, but this ghetto-fabulous set up works for me now. At least until the HOA bitches about it.

Edited by Edwood

Well, looks like we're going to be grilling a LOT more stuff since the heating element in our oven decided to spark out into an thermite-like reaction exactly like this video.

Was reheating something at a very low temperature, and I guess it shorted out. Turning off the oven via the dial did not do a thing, only way to completely kill it, was to turn off the 220V breakers to it, since it's must have still been supplying power to it. (or yank the power cord, but I wasn't about to move that thing while it was a giant 4th of July sparkler.

Hopefully it's just a dead heating coil. Ugh. Seems every single kitchen appliance is dying at once. First the dishwasher, then the fridge's defrost timer/heater is out so it frosts over now, and now the oven decided to give us a fireworks show.

-Ed

Hopefully it's just a dead heating coil. Ugh. Seems every single kitchen appliance is dying at once. First the dishwasher, then the fridge's defrost timer/heater is out so it frosts over now, and now the oven decided to give us a fireworks show.

-Ed

Things always break for me in threes, so maybe it's finished. Right now it's drives, two HDD's getting noisy and sluggish and a DVDRDL burner that doesn't anymore.

Edited by NightWoundsTime

Well, I had a "brilliant" idea of brining turkey breasts in the crisper drawer in my fridge. But since the defrost timer had broken recently, a lot of moisture evaporated and completely iced up the evaporator coils in the freezer section. So I had to open up the freezer back panel yet again, and melt it with a heat gun.

So, Brining bags will be up next for the next time I do turkey. Will use a LOT less brine and keep the moisture out of the fridge.

Otherwise the turkey turned out great, and I made gravy from scratch this time from the drippings and such. Mmmmmm. Gravy. I actually liked the gravy more than turkey, but I'm just not a huge fan of turkey. My wife and daughter love turkey though. For me, turkey is just an excuse to have gravy.

post-27-0-18882100-1324112047_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwood

Also finished another rib cook today. Pretty much have it down. This time I kept it at a steady 225F for the entire cook. The bark got too thick and bitter, so I went easy on the final sauce glaze, and did not increase the temps at the end. Total cook time was 7 hours. Found the sweet spot.

post-27-0-38460100-1324112221_thumb.jpg

I'm about to do some Kangaroo steaks for me and Mrs Expanding.

Marinated in olive oil, chopped rosemary and garlic, and black pepper.

Cook it rare, let is sit in a low heat for 10 minutes, slice it thinly and it is a very, very tasty cut of meat. Also, very low cholesterol for a red meat.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Butt on the Keg now.

About 21 hrs into it, currently at 189F. Just about ready to check for doneness with the fork twist test.

Keg Smokin.

Edwood_KegSmoke_01.jpg

Butt Almost Done.

Edwood_1stButtCook_01.jpg

Going to have a New Years Eve BBQ feast soon. With lots of fine Russian River drinks as well.. Mmmmmmm.

• 3 weeks later...