What are you Grilling now?

Edwood

Also experimented with making "Montgomery Inn" Style Sauce.

Edwood_HomemadeMontgomeryInnSauce_01.jpg

Edwood_HomemadeMontgomeryInnSauce_02.jpg

Not 100% like the real stuff, but I really like it. Would not have guessed that Tarragon was the "secret" ingredient. The ingredients list shows Tamarind on the bottle, will have to try adding some of that one as well next time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that was the weirdest goddamn evening. Yell from the kitchen - the casserole that had been cooking for three hours has slipped from my wife's hands and was on the (clean-ish) kitchen floor. So rising to the unhealthy challenge, and exuding confidence to stifle wife's sobs, I scooped it up, and with multiple filtering and manual extraction removed the shards of broken pottery. Smashed in some stock and red wine, boiled to reduce and kill off bacteria, and saved the day.

After which I promptly lost control of a full glass of red wine and deposited it onto me, the sofa, a cushion and the floor. Mad dash with soft furnishing covers and clothing to the washing machine.

I hope that is the end of this shenanigans for the day, It was like being in a Jim Carey movie.

• 2 weeks later...

St. Louis style and baby backs rubbed. Cookie dough mixed. Both in the fridge for 24 hours. To be continued...

Cookie Dough ribs? Somehow a cookie crust on ribs sounds delicious.

Using my homegrown apartment screened balcony ventilation system:

IMG_1774.jpg

LOL, I use an old Vornado Fan to blow the smoke from my keg.

-Ed

Pics from last night's Pulled Pork.

Edwood_4thButtCook_01.jpg

Edwood_4thButtCook_02.jpg

Cooked two side by side. Got the temps really stable this time, rock solid 225F for 19 hours. The smaller butt (pictured above) finished earlier and was considerably more tender than the slightly larger one.

For BBQ'ing I'd definitely say that Butts definitely have the biggest payoff for the amount of work put in.

The Keg and temp controller makes it a nice leisurely grill as well. Start it up the night before, and it's ready for dinner the next day. :)

Not to mention the large amount of leftovers and Pork Shoulder is quite cheap per pound relative to other meats.

I'm just finished eating some left overs.

-Ed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just moved into a new home. I end up having meat quite frequently and so far have been cooking everything (turkey, steaks, burgers, chicken, pork, lamb) in the toaster oven for a certain amount of time and then searing it over a cast iron pan. Looking for suggestions for a grill (charcoal or gas - which one should I get?) for under 350 inclusive of taxes/shipping. Local purchase is better as mom gets to make sure it is aesthetically pleasing to her etc. I usually cook for myself so doesn't need to be particularly big but not so small that if we have people over only a couple of steaks can be cooked at a time.

Edited by crappyjones123

We do. Also did in the old house. But too much electricity being used for just a single piece of chicken I am making for myself. Given how oily Indian cooking is, we decided to make the patio behind the house an outdoors kitchen instead of having the entire new house smelling like fried junk. No cooking inside the house. Even the microwave is out back. I see the (junior) traeger grill that a lot of people in the thread use is 399. Would that be suggested if I extend the budget a bit. Absolutely nothing over 400 though.