What are you Grilling now?

Edwood

The environmental and financial costs of charcoal grilling everything are significantly higher than using an electric or natural gas oven for the same thing. If you're going to use this daily, you should definitely go for a gas grill. As to what makes a good gas grill, I couldn't begin to say.

I have both a Traeger and a cheaper gas grill. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202018212/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=infrared+grill&storeId=10051#.UES_8NZlR9s

I love the Traeger but for daily grilling the gas can't be beat. When I want to add a bit more smoke flavor to my grilling I just throw some pellets in the "infrared" tray on the grill.

If you think your going to do a lot of smoking and want easy temp control, get a Traeger (or other pellet grill).

I just recently bought a gas grill too. I also went with an infrared grill, and have used pellets to add a smokey flavor. Works great. I also really wanted a griddle for bacon and sourdough pancakes (my Mom has sourdough starter that she started the year I was born). So the gas grill made the most sense for me.

http://www.charbroil.com/char-broil-commercial-series-tru-infrared-4-burner-gas-grill-t-47d.html

• 2 weeks later...

my dad and i ended up at home depot today. he went to look at the traeger with me and enjoys slow cooked non beef meats as well (he is a devout hindu). he reasoned that for us it just wasn't the right time to purchase it as neither him nor i are home enough to justify the purchase even if the stuff cooks/tastes better. we took your suggestion naaman (and steve) and after comparing it to the other offerings found the charbroil grill to be the sturdiest. we got the 2 burner one and I think the indirect contact with the flame works out well for me and there is the provision for adding wood chips for smoking which we also purchased. Hopefully going to try the grill tonight and see how it turns out. don't expect anything amazing the very first time as i am not familiar with the grill and how long it will take to cook stuff but any suggestions from those using it are welcome.

thanks for the help everyone.

my dad and i ended up at home depot today. he went to look at the traeger with me and enjoys slow cooked non beef meats as well (he is a devout hindu). he reasoned that for us it just wasn't the right time to purchase it as neither him nor i are home enough to justify the purchase even if the stuff cooks/tastes better. we took your suggestion naaman (and steve) and after comparing it to the other offerings found the charbroil grill to be the sturdiest. we got the 2 burner one and I think the indirect contact with the flame works out well for me and there is the provision for adding wood chips for smoking which we also purchased. Hopefully going to try the grill tonight and see how it turns out. don't expect anything amazing the very first time as i am not familiar with the grill and how long it will take to cook stuff but any suggestions from those using it are welcome.

I normally cook at the 5-6 o'clock position in the summer and 7-9 in the winter. Little lower when it's really hot and higher when really cold. I have not tried real wood chips, but the Trager pellets work really well and you can just drop a little handful between the grate.

• 1 month later...

Hehe a devout Hindu eating meat :)

No offense meant, I myself am a bad one that enjoys the flesh and fat :P

The first Traeger meal did not go well. Got the baby back ribs all set for the 3-2-1 cook and started the Traeger as directed, let it warm up and bit and left it on smoke to throw the ribs on for 3 hours. Walked away for a bit and saw no smoke so checked it out and the temp was at 540 and I was making jerky. After trying several things with Traeger service they decided the controller board on my brand new Traeger arrived bad so it was running at high no matter what I set it to. So now my 6 hours ribs have become 48 sous vide ribs. comp26.gif

Sorry to hear about your Traeger problems. I've had a couple of issues with mine. Their customer service is very good. I smoked a turkey ans deep fried one last Thanksgiving. The consensus was that the smoked was better. I don't remember the recipe I used. I'm pretty sure i brined it and will probably do the same this year. I think I will skip deep frying as it is a pita cleaning up.

I'm shopping for a new grill as mine is finally dying. I'm thinking of a weber Summit E-420 or E-620. They are pricey but I use mine probably 5 days a week and need something with a good warranty and that will hold up well outside.