What are you Grilling now?

Edwood

The ham was really tasty! Faxing leftovers soon.

I used the holiday ham with mustard sauce recipe on the Traeger website, but I skipped the mustard sauce and my ham was only about 4lbs so I halved it. I injected the brine and the mop into the ham to make sure the flavor penetrated and it worked well. Turned out juicy and with great flavor. Will definitely do this again with a larger ham.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Decided to try to improve upon the French Laundry Sous Vide Brisket by finishing it up with a bit of smoke on the Traeger.  Turned out pretty good but I think I am going to go for a full Traeger smoked brisket next time.

i-TmBD5KW-XL.jpg

i-qfz96cg-XL.jpg

• 1 month later...

My first attempt at Tri-Tip, Santa Maria style.

477178_10200459208056327_1741336665_o.jp

Perfect medium rare.  135F at the center.  Did a reverse sear method.  Started at 225F with Lots of apple wood smoke.  Might try heavier smoke wood like Hickory later.  Tri-Tip is so lean, I'm not sure how well it will hold up to full well done smoking, to get more smoke.  This cook was very short, too short for any kind of smoke ring.  Maybe it's only possible with Brisket.  Either way, it will make for some awesome "roast beef" sandwich leftovers.   Overall, I like Tri-Tip this way better than just straight up NY Strip Steak.  Cheaper and lots more quantity for the same amount of grill time.  This cook, the tri-tip was super juicy. 

Had I to do it over again, I'd get a Traeger and a cheap ass Weber Kettle Grill.  It takes forever to get a steady stream of thin blue smoke with my Keg set up.  There's just something about just pressing a button and walking away.  Sigh.

Heheh, if I find a decent deal on a small Traeger, I might have to get one anyways.  A Keg + Traeger takes up the same amount of space as a Weber + Traeger.   :D  Sure my wife would bitch about it at first, due to more of my shit eating up precious real estate, but she'd quickly stop complaining when the food keeps on coming.

I'm just envious of the one touch, push button operation of the Traegers.  Plus, one doesn't need a fancy grill to get an insane inferno going for high temp searing.

Granted, it's far quieter to use my Big Steel Keg set up on my balcony than a Traeger.  Also, the auto temp controller uses very little power, and the Keg is very efficient and uses very little charcoal.  I've actually used a small computer UPS battery to keep the temp controller running during a power blackout that happened in the middle of a long pork shoulder cook. 

• 1 month later...

Smoked Tri-Tip, Brisket Style.

Going to let it hit 190 and then check. *(decided against foil Texas Crutch this time, never had a problem of drying anything out in my Keg.)

Edwood_2ndTri-TipCook_01_zps3a53b8a4.jpg

Edwood_2ndTri-TipCook_02_zpseba6a038.jpg

I have hickory chunks in the keg, and apple wood pellets in the Smoke Daddy.

Edited by Edwood

Just pulled one Tri-Tip at 180, just in case I ruin the other one by going all the way to 195.

Edwood_2ndTri-TipCook_03_zps0f7e37b6.jpg

Definitely not as juicy, but still very soft.  And man, way more flavor.    Apple wood Pellets worked great, and much more consistent smoke output.  I also used the same rub I used for Pork, worked really well.  I love that stuff.  Maybe I'll add more chipotle chili powder and black pepper next time.

I'm ready for Brisket now.   Although, I really like how versatile Tri-Tip is.  It can be cooked like steak with roast beef like leftovers, or cooked brisket style, for smokey awesome flavor.

Edited by Edwood

Yep, 195 is too far for Tri-Tip.  Not ruined, but the one I pulled at just under 180 is much better.  Probably best to pull it at 175 at most for this style.  Probably 170.

Got some fantastic sandwich leftovers now. 

By the time MOA4 comes around, I should be pretty proficient with Brisket, so is it possible to fit a brisket or two, with two butts at the same time in Al's Traeger?  The smoked meat should last a little longer next time.   Or maybe just all brisket.  It's more expensive, but it's easier since there's no pulling with the Bear Claws.  :)