What are you Grilling now?

Edwood

• 4 weeks later...

Finished steak.   I prefer the reverse sear slow smoke method over sous vide for steaks.   While it's a little more tender, it lacks the smokey flavor I love. 

Next I'm trying chicken breasts. 

20151101_173802.jpg

I buy a lot of Choice steak from Aldi, and it always turns out great.  I like the racks you're using in the bath.

Yeah, they're the Lipavi racks I bought from Amazon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
How did you end up finishing the ribs?

On the grill with some sauce.

The ribs were good, but I think think the sous vide renders out a bit to much of the inter muscular fat. Of course more research is required.

Maybe a slow smoke then a much shorter sous vide finish.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I tried to smoke some spare ribs on Friday but my Traeger is still tripping the GFI breaker every time I use it. That time, it started working rather than tripping immediately so I believed I was under way. When a banged up Claire was dropped off by a neighbor after tripping and falling on a trail run, I realized that the Traeger was off and the GFI was tripped. I put the cold ribs back in the fridge.

Today was my first chance to attempt to smoke them again and I could not locate a cheater plug to see if taking the ground out of the equation would work. So I decided to get audiophile on this MF. First, I tried an unused Richard Gray Audio Power Pig to see if it could deal with the issue. That seemed to work but after a few minutes the GFI popped. The next level was remembering that I have a Nirvana Audio Analogue Source power cord that does not have a ground connection. I plugged that in to power the Power Pig and viola! No tripping of the GFI. Good thing I never sell any of this shit.

Claire ultimately found a cheater plug so I'm going to try that as a much simpler solution. Beyond that, I'm going to figure out why the Traeger has a ground fault when I'm not trying to cook something. :/

• Like 3