What are you Grilling now?

Edwood

2 hours ago, acidbasement said:

We just butchered two grass-fed steers - three year old Jerseys, "rescued" from a dairy farm shortly after they were born. Three freezers full. Anyone who feels like visiting before it's all gone will be treated to brisket and rib cap.

Results to follow.

oh snap, where's my passport

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Augsburger said:

This thread is awesome!  I begin my spring grilling training this weekend though I must say I am a bit intimidated by you guys..

51kIpChrdIL._SX395_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Best primer on the science of all things grilling

The Barbecue! Bible 10th Anniversary Edition

Grilling basics A-Z

Several great grilling books and recipes available.  These two are staples in most BBQer libraries.  Enjoy.l

Might want to check out https://amazingribs.com/ for information and go to the forums for advice.

Edited by Aimless1

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to shop for the grill for the new house.  The deck has a built in Natural Gas Feed for heaters, grills that can burn it etc. but I am thinking I might try to go with an all in one unit like a Memphis Elite and just fire heaters on the Natural Gas as I do not think it will be great for grilling.  

Anyone here have experience with Memphis or a recommended alternate, or experience using natural gas for grilling?

Stretch has the Elite.  I have the Advantage.  Like all pellet poppers the Memphis is great for low & slow cooking and for smoking.  Not so great at grilling.  The flame insert helps, but the other night when I made a steak it was put on at 225 to smoke it, wrapped in foil while the the Memphis heated to maximum temp, swapped in the flame insert and finished the steak.  

If you have time the Memphis can work for grilling, but there are better options.  Another alternative is to have the Elite with natural gas grill.  Have all your bases covered :)

Jeff you can absolutely grill on the Memphis but the usable cooking area in this mode is small (just the 9" x 9" or so right over the firebox) so it's not great for entertaining. It's a fantastic smoker and a decent grill to cook yourself a steak a day completely fuss free, but if I had to do it again I'd probably tend towards what Greg suggests. Just, appropriately upgraded ...

https://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/k750hs-hybrid-fire-freestanding-grill-with-side-burner/

https://home.hestan.com/product/42-hestan-outdoor-deluxe-grill-with-double-side-burner/

Edited by Hopstretch
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

The bottom one is a beast and the deal is awesome. But it is extreme overkill for even Head Case based on the minimal times I would use a grill over the smoker. Evidently it is so well insulated that you can get 1200 degree sear temp. 

Mostly came to mattress shop as I must upgrade to a King as Sady and Kasia are bed hogs. Ended up with a new Aireloom Adjustable, a 77” OLED, 2 65” OLEDs, the Lynx Sequoia Grill and I still haven’t left the store. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, VPI said:

Mostly came to mattress shop as I must upgrade to a King as Sady and Kasia are bed hogs. Ended up with a new Aireloom Adjustable, a 77” OLED, 2 65” OLEDs, the Lynx Sequoia Grill and I still haven’t left the store. 

Nice score and especially congrats on the Aireloom.  

Edited by blessingx

4 hours ago, VPI said:

Proper HC haul, that!

How much were they willing to deal on the Hestan grill? I'm ... just curious.