What are you Grilling now?

Edwood

6 hours ago, VPI said:

Going to smoke a pork shoulder tomorrow. 8 hours at 250 maybe.

Any advice from the experts?  Not sure I have ever tried one of these. 

I do my pork shoulders sort of like Naaman does briskets.  Dry rub, cook till ~150ish internal, wrap (I add apple juice to the foil), cook for a few hours that way till the internal gets pretty high but no real target, and then unwrap and cook until it hits 200.  The rub I use is brown sugar, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic. I did a 4lb shoulder last weekend and it took a solid 9 hours and probably could have gone longer.  It still pulled ok, and tasted great, but I let it go too long before i wrapped it.

Basically I'd budget around 2hours per pound, to be conservative.  More if the but is partially frozen like mine was. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recommendations for a gas grill please? Going to keep the Memphis Elite just for smoking and add something else that sears better and has a rotisserie. Don't say Kalamazoo as that's out of budget. Lynx or Hestan might be doable, also heard good things about Solaire -- any other suggestions?

Serious suggestion - you should have the two white guys building company build an outdoor kitchen with integrated gas grill, flat cooktop, and stuff like storage drawers, etc. I mean having some cart-based solution seems rather plebeian at this stage, no?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i am very close to impulse buying a kamado joe classic II from Costco. they are doing some kind of close out... i’m guessing because the classic III is out now. anyone have experience using it low and slow? it seems capable...

I think all of that style of cooker is pretty great at low and slow if you either a) manually mange temps very well and have patience or b) invest in one of the variable external fan systems.  From what I've been able to read where they start to fall down is on long cooks where you may run out of fuel - seems like that might be in the 8hr range. I know some of my briskets and even pork shoulders have taken longer and it can be challenging to refuel those kamado cookers mid-cook.  And honestly if you're just getting into low and slow I'd highly recommend starting with an electric rig.  I did ribs on mine today and they're better than the "award winning" ribs I'd buy down the street for 3x the cost. The electric rigs do have their shortcomings as well but they are cheap, can't really burn your house down, and are WAY smarter than a kamado grill.  If you also want a charcoal grill then that's a different story entirely.

So really the question is - do you want to smoke stuff? Or smoke stuff and grill stuff?

24 minutes ago, Voltron said:

Did it fall off a truck into your garage? 😜

Nothing so dramatic. Local dealer offered 10% off plus a free cover so I bit the bullet. Am having a few issues getting Wifi setup but I think it's part user error and part signal strength so I'm hopeful I can get it sorted tomorrow. Ran out of time to fiddle today but did get it seasoned so it's ready to reuse regardless.

• Like 3

Not grilling, but cold smoking... 😎

made a zero cost cold smoker with Epson workforce pro !  ... ;}

So, my very very old Smoky Joe with a coil burner stolen from an old electric oven wired for 120v {aaa, I just soldered a plug on it} a chunk of drier hose {drier didn't need that much anyway}, built a rack inside box from scrap wood. Cut a hole. Done.

Smoked for 20 min on a small charge. 88 degrees in box.

IMG_20200607_170147.thumb.jpg.a353beef2acd2ba58ce8a55e4a7def4b.jpg

Will test it out for real with hickory and smoking rye grains.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The brisket finished crazy fast after I wrapped so clearly the cook times on the Traeger are going to be quite a bit different than the electric smoker. Not too concerned about it being done early, I'll just have to check the internal temp about an hour before dinner and reheat as needed. Felt super tender to the probe so here's to hoping I got this one right. 

• Like 5