What are you Grilling now?

Edwood

fuck forgot their is a thread for this, just finished eating our bone in Ribeye. Brushed with duck fat mostly to get the flames to come up from the bottom of the egg for a nice char. 

Ate those with some yellow potatos from our garden and we still have yellow onion(from garden) in foil with butter salt and pepper waiting to finish, but those take a while to caramelize. 

steak was a bit over done.. I normally only grill tri-tip and ribs. Sadly steaks and burgers I am only about 50/50 at getting right.

Would really like to get a proper smoker to try some different things. 

Here's a tip that I got from a friend that is a butcher, grills are pretty terrible for cooking steaks unless you like them really rare.  I have not used my grill to completely cook a steak for several years now. The current process, which came from the butcher friend, is to sear both sides of the steak on a very hot grill for 2-3 min a side.  Then transfer to the oven (in a pan) at 225F-250F and finish to desired internal temp, generally pulling 5F early and letting the steak rest for 10 minutes or so before serving. 

For burgers I religiously do the following - burgers are to be flipped once and never pressed. Cook them until they bleed up thru the top, then flip and cook and hope that the flames don't get too bad. 

That's my 2c anyway. 

Oh one more thing, the Egg can absolutely be a "proper smoker" - more so than my Traeger according to the die hards. It'll take more effort, and potentially a gadget or two to get consistent low temps for long cooks (for example) but there are a ton of folks that swear by them.  

• Like 4

Can't speak to the egg but find steaks can be prepared to perfection on the pellet smoker.  Smoke @ 225 until internal temp is about 100.  Wrap in foil.  Turn the heat up to 550 -600 or as high as it will go.  Unwrap and put back on.  Reverse sear both sides and flip as needed every 30 seconds or so until your internal temp is about 5 less than you desire.  Perfect every time and you get all the smoky goodness  

However, like all such things, there are several ways to the perfect outcome.  Use the one you like.  

• Like 2

Here is my two cents on steak. I’ve done them many ways and I find this to be the best,
Get an infrared burner*. I slow cook mine on the gas grill at the lowest temperature I can until it is around 120F. Then I sear it on the infrared burner (mind gets up to 1800F) for about 30-45 seconds per side. Cover and let it rest fod 5-20 minutes. It will be perfect.

* I have a Napoleon Gas Grill with an infrared burner on the side but you can buy one on its own.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

No pics.  Did my first tri-tip on Labor Day.  Served with smoked mac & cheese for the neighbor ladies.  Who knew 3 petite senior ladies could put away so much food.  Leftovers were one serving only.  

The tri-tip was ridiculously easy to make and had incredible flavor.  I'll have to do another.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2020 at 8:57 PM, shellylh said:

Here is my two cents on steak. I’ve done them many ways and I find this to be the best,
Get an infrared burner*. I slow cook mine on the gas grill at the lowest temperature I can until it is around 120F. Then I sear it on the infrared burner (mind gets up to 1800F) for about 30-45 seconds per side. Cover and let it rest fod 5-20 minutes. It will be perfect.

* I have a Napoleon Gas Grill with an infrared burner on the side but you can buy one on its own.

Tonight I had a couple prime ribeyes and I did the reverse sear in the oven at 180 with a  probe in the steak. I removed the steaks at 115 degrees and had a cast iron pan very hot and ready. Seared the top, bottom, and two long sides. Came out great for doneness, texture and crust. 

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Voltron said:

Reverse sear is definitely my new favorite way to do steak, and I like the idea of smoking to temp. I'll have to try that.

I have been doing steaks and even tri-tip this way.  Take it to about 20 degrees below your desired temp, wrap and remove, crank to searing temp, unwrap and sear until 5 degrees below desired temp.  Remove and let rest as it will continue to cook. Serve

• Like 2

Really liking the Fireboard2 so far. Between it and the Traeger app I was able to monitor today's cook (small pork shoulder) remotely and adjust the temp a couple times to ramp things up a bit so that it was ready to wrap when I got home.  The dip in the graph is when I removed the probe while wrapping.  The nerd in me loves this.

Overall App View w/ the 2ch that I'm running today:

18503F6E-9F24-4359-9EF3-81771940358F.thumb.png.2aca57c721d3dc4aa8a9353cf0c19df0.png

It can run up to 6 channels and also has the ability to drive a fan unit for those that use Webbers or Eggs w/ a booster fan.

Detail view 

119F9DCD-C110-480B-9BFB-8525C47A303E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a8b204a3518fd788910939c5dd572e3e.jpeg

The cliff at the beginning is that I had the app running while the grill was heating up with the meat probe just in the air waiting to be used.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting for a 14 hour smoke BBQ for this brisket.  Started it last night at 11pm so we shall see. Shooting for a 180 to 190 internal temperature so that will ultimately determine the finish time. 

On deck are two nice Grenaches for the contest.

image.thumb.png.9b153e4c057652071ece6c9dafed1d9e.png

• Like 8