What are you Grilling now?

Edwood

• 2 weeks later...

3ddfd6db65094bd4d05254977c555ff4.jpg

eb4ef6a1f97e339aefd2c2d658ad2656.jpg

My review is different from the other people in attendance. They loved and raved about the swineapples. I thought it was only OK but it could be better with a better tasting sauce. I needed much bigger pineapples and better sauce on the pork would make a difference. Better shape management such as string or something. Plus, I've been spoiled recently with a couple of the best bbq performances evar.

• Like 2

Cleaned my grill. Which considering it has been in that exact position uncovered for two Michigan winters, I think it turned out okay.

post-482-14367469189958_thumb.jpg

post-482-14367469330323_thumb.jpg

The top rack must be some really crappy stainless steel material or is just unrecoverable. The main grilling surface came out nearly as-new.

Edited by luvdunhill
  • Like 3

Final version. Full disclosure, the clams were wrong for the dish. I wanted mussels but the market did not have any. This was shrimp, chicken and andouille sausage. Again, we wanted Spanish chorizo but sucky Midwest markets. And socarrat development was not there this time. Still, we enjoyed the shit out of cooking and eating it. And we will make more.

XzfRKtp.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Getting a good socarrat (or socarradet) is an art in itself. Hardcore paella purists don't mix seafood with land animals, but it's true that some paella styles, considering this is a "poor people" dish created to use easily available (for the zone) components, and leftovers, mix them. A seafood paella can include mussels, clams, shrimp, prawn, cuttlefish or squid, even octopus, lobster, crayfish (or a variant of it which serves just to provide taste but it's not really eatable). For color you use always saffron. Some other fishes, their heads and scrapes (monkfish is a personal favourite for this) are used to make the broth that we'll use to boil the whole thing once the seafood is sauté with the onion, garlic and other vegetables and you add the rice.

The "land" paella uses basically rabbit or hare, lamb, pork or chicken. Then the broth to boil is made from hen and some bone you have around (jamón is particularly tasty).

I couldn't make a really good paella even if my life depended on it, nor my wife, but I know where we can eat a really good one ;D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...