ecp audio

dsavitsk

Well said Nate.

I would also grant Doug a nod to Dieter Ram's "Good design is as little design as possible".

As noted by Nate, there is a simple elegance and design economy to Doug's work that pays homage to Louis Sullivan's "form ever follows function".

Both inside and out.

I'm not sure how much shorter a signal path can get, and still get the job done.

There is a comment after the review looking for some L-2 measurements. I thought I'd post some here. These are taken via RMAA at ~125mW output, which is 2Vrms into 32 ohms. That is very very loud -- louder than anyone should ever listen. When the level is more resonable, much of that drops into the noise floor, so take these as worst case. At any rate, THD is ~0.14% and IMD is ~0.12%. (The 60Hz bump is in the soundcard.)

THD:

spud_thd.png

IMD:

spud_imd.png

Nice write-up, Nate! Short, concise and informative just the way I like it although it would be even nicer to have some tech specs around like output impedance or how much power the amplifier pumps into a 32 ohm load for example.

I really would like to hear the L2 as I have yet to hear a hybrid amplifier that rocks my socks off. The Apex/Peak probably came closest to this regard but with the wrong headphones, it can be a bit too aggressive-sounding.

Nice write-up, Nate! Short, concise and informative just the way I like it although it would be even nicer to have some tech specs around like output impedance or how much power the amplifier pumps into a 32 ohm load for example.

I really would like to hear the L2 as I have yet to hear a hybrid amplifier that rocks my socks off. The Apex/Peak probably came closest to this regard but with the wrong headphones, it can be a bit too aggressive-sounding.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the L2 is not a hybrid if you are meaning hybrid as in an amp that has a tube and SS gain stage.

There is a comment after the review looking for some L-2 measurements. I thought I'd post some here. These are taken via RMAA at ~125mW output, which is 2Vrms into 32 ohms. That is very very loud -- louder than anyone should ever listen. When the level is more resonable, much of that drops into the noise floor, so take these as worst case. At any rate, THD is ~0.14% and IMD is ~0.12%. (The 60Hz bump is in the soundcard.)

THD:

IMD:

Doug,

Followers of voldemort will never accept RMAA measurements as being valid. The person asking in the comments is one such individual.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the L2 is not a hybrid if you are meaning hybrid as in an amp that has a tube and SS gain stage.

I'm certainly of the same opinion you are Deepak. Voltage and Current gain are handled by glass in the L-2. There are active solid state parts but not in the way that would have me thinking "hybrid" in the sense that it's usually used around here.

And Chris, yeah, I figure the guys making the comments are never going to hear what they want to hear from me but I tried to reply anyway.

As I stated before Nate, I thought you did an excellent job on the review.

As for being a hybrid, I would not think solid state current sources or whatever he is using the sand for (other than a gain or buffer stage) would be considered hybrid, but what do I know...