ecp audio

dsavitsk

On 3/9/2016 at 9:57 PM, dsavitsk said:

Things are available basically whenever - I decided that there was no way to compete with the Schiits of the world and I never really made enough of anything to benefit from economies of scale, so everything is bespoke. Depending upon complexity and how busy things are, that usually means 6 to 8 weeks.

Doug:  Is there a difference between this DAC and the plexi-dac that I have (which is fantastic)?  They are both built around the Wolfson WM8741 I believe. 

post-1526-0-07921000-1412543891_thumb.jpg

On 3/8/2016 at 9:00 PM, dsavitsk said:

You are all too nice :)

It is about 9.5" x 6.25" x 2.25". Input is USB (using the Amanero USB card) and output is transformer coupled and XLR only (because of the transformers, using XLR to RCA converters does not change or diminish the signal). It uses the Wolfson WM8741 with my output stage which is basically the same circuit as the DSHA. The model is the Walnut v5 DAC.

I just wanted to add that Doug let me build one of these (populating the PCB, only) and I've been listening to it for the last few weeks.  Basically, I begged him because showing off the T3 at headphone meets was not working well with the DACs I had.  I needed something Summit-Fi as a source, but didn't have it.  The Walnut v5 solved the situation in spades.

Before anyone asks - I would not recommend it as anything but a custom build from Doug.  I built it myself, but it took weeks of preparation.  I got two new pairs of $45 tweezers, a hot-air re-work station and other tools, too.  I took several days to practice on some of my scrap Beezar DACs.  I still made mistakes when I attacked the Walnut.  I finally got it working, but I'd have to say it was the most challenging build I've ever done, bar none.  Again, I'm just talking about the PCB.

Anyway, the sound is absolutely exquisite using a T3 and HD800.  I've never experienced sound at this level before and actually owned it.  Thank you, Doug! :D

• Like 6

I get asked about the black Yggy all the time.

So @blubliss posted pictures of his black one on HF and I thought it looked fantastic.

I asked for a black one in an email when I placed my order. Right before it shipped, Schiit sent me an email saying that they didn't have any black ones. Lo-and-behold when the shipment arrived there was a black Yggy inside. I was pretty happy.

Ask and ye shall receive?

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 3

On 3/31/2016 at 0:56 PM, TMoney said:

I get asked about the black Yggy all the time.

So @blubliss posted pictures of his black one on HF and I thought it looked fantastic.

I asked for a black one in an email when I placed my order. Right before it shipped, Schiit sent me an email saying that they didn't have any black ones. Lo-and-behold when the shipment arrived there was a black Yggy inside. I was pretty happy.

Ask and ye shall receive?

Too late  for that.  I already have a Silver one... :(

On 4/6/2016 at 2:04 PM, TMoney said:

I have to say, after all the positive vibes the Torpedo III has been generating I'm excited to see how its bigger brother L-3 ends up turning out.

Didn't know that it is in the work.

Anyway, I had a pleasure of checking out the maxed out Torpedo III against my L2 awhile back and I was quite impressed by it.  I still prefer the L2 over it due to slightly better resolution as well as a more refined presentation.  However, the Torpedo III is slightly more engaging and definitely hit harder in the bass region.

On 4/7/2016 at 4:22 PM, purk said:

Didn't know that it is in the work.

Anyway, I had a pleasure of checking out the maxed out Torpedo III against my L2 awhile back and I was quite impressed by it.  I still prefer the L2 over it due to slightly better resolution as well as a more refined presentation.  However, the Torpedo III is slightly more engaging and definitely hit harder in the bass region.

The T3 has been improved since then, too. ;)