ecp audio

dsavitsk

• 7 months later...

I'm a bit out of the loop with audio lately so please bear with me, is the difference between the new beezar/ecp T4 and DSHA-3 is the tube input stage? Which one is the more ideal pairing with the Utopia? 

The Focal are amazing and made my previous headphone SR-007 pretty much obsolete but the amps I have at the moment, Beta 22 and Dynahi, seem to be less than an ideal match for them as they're too honest. I could definitely use a softer presentation. 

The T4 and the 3F do share similarities in the topology of the output stage, but the implementation is very different. The T4 is high voltage, low current with a step down transformer (and a DC blocking capacitor) while the 3F is high current, low voltage and is DC coupled. (The 3 - as opposed to the 3F - uses an output transformer, but no DC blocking cap.)

The T4 has a single ended input with a tube LTP stage for gain and splitting. The 3F has an input transformer for gain and splitting.

3F is generally the better Focal option, but it is for balanced phones only.

58 minutes ago, dsavitsk said:

3F is high current, low voltage and is DC coupled. (The 3 - as opposed to the 3F - uses an output transformer, but no DC blocking cap.)

The T4 has a single ended input with a tube LTP stage for gain and splitting. The 3F has an input transformer for gain and splitting.

So the 3F (or 3) should be better if one happened to connect a planar to it? say Impedance in 40's sensitivity 90ish

18 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

The T4 and the 3F do share similarities in the topology of the output stage, but the implementation is very different. The T4 is high voltage, low current with a step down transformer (and a DC blocking capacitor) while the 3F is high current, low voltage and is DC coupled. (The 3 - as opposed to the 3F - uses an output transformer, but no DC blocking cap.)

Thanks for taking the time to explain! Would you agree that the 3 or 3F is the more flexible amp? 

• 1 year later...

I still adore my ECP L2 with my HD800s but my listening has switched entirely to the Raal SR1a.  I'm not eager to let the amp go, but if any ECP-curious folks would like to hear one of life's great pleasures, let me know.  I'm happy to find a reasonable price for the HC faithful.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sherwood said:

I still adore my ECP L2 with my HD800s but my listening has switched entirely to the Raal SR1a.  I'm not eager to let the amp go, but if any ECP-curious folks would like to hear one of life's great pleasures, let me know.  I'm happy to find a reasonable price for the HC faithful.

I'm in Europe :postjack: Not that I can use headphones much due to the issue I had in my left ear, but curiosity... well you know, this is d-_-b

• Like 2

I'm in Europe :postjack: Not that I can use headphones much due to the issue I had in my left ear, but curiosity... well you know, this is d-_-b

Frankly, Antonio, I’d be happy to loan it to you indefinitely. Listen and enjoy on your own time. I’m not about to nickel and dime HC’s doctor.
  • Like 4

On 2/7/2021 at 3:49 AM, purk said:

Any news on the T5?

It's probably not going anywhere. Various iterations were either unstable or too noisy.

6 hours ago, Sherwood said:

I still adore my ECP L2 with my HD800s but my listening has switched entirely to the Raal SR1a.

Circuit boards for the Raal experiment (code named "Bridgeport") have been ordered. I should know more about that in a few weeks.

Also, there is some thought to doing a very small run of a 10 year anniversary version of the L2. The basic circuit would remain the same, but there are a few changes that should serve as an upgrade to the original.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Sherwood said:

Frankly, Antonio, I’d be happy to loan it to you indefinitely. Listen and enjoy on your own time. I’m not about to nickel and dime HC’s doctor.

Wow, that's extremely generous, thank you! Indefinitely is way too long :) but if you're willing to loan it to me for some weeks I'll be extremely glad to pay shipping and other expenses both ways. I'm unsure what's the taxes and import fees between Moldova and EU countries.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sherwood said:

PM 🤦‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/10/2021 at 11:35 PM, dsavitsk said:

Circuit boards for the Raal experiment (code named "Bridgeport") have been ordered. I should know more about that in a few weeks.

Hey Doug, any word on how those boards turned out?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...