Jump to content

ecp audio


dsavitsk
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 7 months later...

I'm a bit out of the loop with audio lately so please bear with me, is the difference between the new beezar/ecp T4 and DSHA-3 is the tube input stage? Which one is the more ideal pairing with the Utopia? 

The Focal are amazing and made my previous headphone SR-007 pretty much obsolete but the amps I have at the moment, Beta 22 and Dynahi, seem to be less than an ideal match for them as they're too honest. I could definitely use a softer presentation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The T4 and the 3F do share similarities in the topology of the output stage, but the implementation is very different. The T4 is high voltage, low current with a step down transformer (and a DC blocking capacitor) while the 3F is high current, low voltage and is DC coupled. (The 3 - as opposed to the 3F - uses an output transformer, but no DC blocking cap.)

The T4 has a single ended input with a tube LTP stage for gain and splitting. The 3F has an input transformer for gain and splitting.

3F is generally the better Focal option, but it is for balanced phones only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, dsavitsk said:

 3F is high current, low voltage and is DC coupled. (The 3 - as opposed to the 3F - uses an output transformer, but no DC blocking cap.)

The T4 has a single ended input with a tube LTP stage for gain and splitting. The 3F has an input transformer for gain and splitting.

3F is generally the better Focal option, but it is for balanced phones only.

So the 3F (or 3) should be better if one happened to connect a planar to it? say Impedance in 40's sensitivity 90ish

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

The T4 and the 3F do share similarities in the topology of the output stage, but the implementation is very different. The T4 is high voltage, low current with a step down transformer (and a DC blocking capacitor) while the 3F is high current, low voltage and is DC coupled. (The 3 - as opposed to the 3F - uses an output transformer, but no DC blocking cap.)

The T4 has a single ended input with a tube LTP stage for gain and splitting. The 3F has an input transformer for gain and splitting.

3F is generally the better Focal option, but it is for balanced phones only.

Thanks for taking the time to explain! Would you agree that the 3 or 3F is the more flexible amp? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Been listening to the L3 & Ravensweood tonight/early morning and they are such a stunning performer!  Any news on the T5?  Still kicking myself a bit for letting one of the DHSA-2 prototype go 3 years ago.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still adore my ECP L2 with my HD800s but my listening has switched entirely to the Raal SR1a.  I'm not eager to let the amp go, but if any ECP-curious folks would like to hear one of life's great pleasures, let me know.  I'm happy to find a reasonable price for the HC faithful.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Sherwood said:

I still adore my ECP L2 with my HD800s but my listening has switched entirely to the Raal SR1a.  I'm not eager to let the amp go, but if any ECP-curious folks would like to hear one of life's great pleasures, let me know.  I'm happy to find a reasonable price for the HC faithful.

I'm in Europe :postjack: Not that I can use headphones much due to the issue I had in my left ear, but curiosity... well you know, this is d-_-b

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm in Europe :postjack: Not that I can use headphones much due to the issue I had in my left ear, but curiosity... well you know, this is d-_-b

Frankly, Antonio, I’d be happy to loan it to you indefinitely. Listen and enjoy on your own time. I’m not about to nickel and dime HC’s doctor.
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2021 at 3:49 AM, purk said:

Any news on the T5?

It's probably not going anywhere. Various iterations were either unstable or too noisy.

6 hours ago, Sherwood said:

I still adore my ECP L2 with my HD800s but my listening has switched entirely to the Raal SR1a.

Circuit boards for the Raal experiment (code named "Bridgeport") have been ordered. I should know more about that in a few weeks.

Also, there is some thought to doing a very small run of a 10 year anniversary version of the L2. The basic circuit would remain the same, but there are a few changes that should serve as an upgrade to the original.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sherwood said:


Frankly, Antonio, I’d be happy to loan it to you indefinitely. Listen and enjoy on your own time. I’m not about to nickel and dime HC’s doctor.

Wow, that's extremely generous, thank you! Indefinitely is way too long :) but if you're willing to loan it to me for some weeks I'll be extremely glad to pay shipping and other expenses both ways. I'm unsure what's the taxes and import fees between Moldova and EU countries.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sherwood said:

I still adore my ECP L2 with my HD800s but my listening has switched entirely to the Raal SR1a.  I'm not eager to let the amp go, but if any ECP-curious folks would like to hear one of life's great pleasures, let me know.  I'm happy to find a reasonable price for the HC faithful.

PM 🤦‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

(code named "Bridgeport")

🥰to all of this.

Ryan, I'm going to let Antonio play with the L2 for awhile, then I'll reach out to you.  If you're still making unwuse financial decisions by that time, I can't stop you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/10/2021 at 11:35 PM, dsavitsk said:

Circuit boards for the Raal experiment (code named "Bridgeport") have been ordered. I should know more about that in a few weeks.

Hey Doug, any word on how those boards turned out?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sherwood said:

Hey Doug, any word on how those boards turned out?

I've been super slow about everything lately. But I did just get a note this morning that the final piece I need shipped. So ask again on a week or so.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

I've been super slow about everything lately. But I did just get a note this morning that the final piece I need shipped. So ask again on a week or so.

Love it, I'll be in touch.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...