Just what I need...more tubes...

aerius

Ok, so earlier this week I upgraded the filament power supply on my amp so that I can use 6BL7 tubes in addition to the 6SN7, 12SN7, and 1633 tubes that I'm already using. My local surplus store had some GE 6BL7GTA's in stock so I picked up a couple pairs, both of them have black plates with a top getter. One set has an O-shaped getter and the other has a D-shaped one, using the former in my amp and haven't tried the latter yet.

Impressions so far, somewhat similar to the GE Canada 12SN7GTA, but a bit warmer & smoother. Doesn't have the soundstage depth & height of the RCA 1633 and the images don't feel as "real", but it has better frequency extension on both ends. Quite dynamic with lots of slam in the bass, and it's a fun tube.

So, here's the question. What are some other nice 6BL7 tubes to try out? Are there any that have the general sound signature of the grey glass RCA VT-231 but with more bass slam?

Guest sacd lover

Ok, so earlier this week I upgraded the filament power supply on my amp so that I can use 6BL7 tubes in addition to the 6SN7, 12SN7, and 1633 tubes that I'm already using. My local surplus store had some GE 6BL7GTA's in stock so I picked up a couple pairs, both of them have black plates with a top getter. One set has an O-shaped getter and the other has a D-shaped one, using the former in my amp and haven't tried the latter yet.

Impressions so far, somewhat similar to the GE Canada 12SN7GTA, but a bit warmer & smoother. Doesn't have the soundstage depth & height of the RCA 1633 and the images don't feel as "real", but it has better frequency extension on both ends. Quite dynamic with lots of slam in the bass, and it's a fun tube.

So, here's the question. What are some other nice 6BL7 tubes to try out? Are there any that have the general sound signature of the grey glass RCA VT-231 but with more bass slam?

Get 6BL7GT's .... they sound infinetly better than the GTA's. The 6BL7GT's are so cross branded I cant tell who really made what though. Go with the black box plates, halo or long rectangular getter and the triple micas. I think that type is made by sylvania and they are very good sounding. There is a black ribbed plate 6BL7GT that has RCA type 6sn7gt plates and sounds warmer and richer like a RCA tube. But I dont think this tube is an RCA tube though .... but this tube is the closest I have heard to the RCA vt-231. To be honest, I hate the GTA's .... especially the gray plate 6BL7GTA's. You might want to try some 6BX7GT's. Same specs and also very good sounding. The 6BX7GT is a leaner and clearer sounding tube vs the 6BL7GT; again get black plates. Match it up with a warmer and bassier gain tube and it sings. I use the 6BX7GT's exclusively instead of the 6BL7GT's myself.

Sounds good, I'll have to give the surplus shop another check and see if they have any GT's lying around, I need my instant gratification. And if that doesn't work out, I see another tube ordering spree happening. It also looks like I'll be staying away from the 6BX7, my amp uses ECC40's for inputs and as far as I can tell those tubes are dead neutral with no sound. I have 3 different brands and 5 distinct types and they all sound the same.

Thanks again, and now it's time to go shopping...