SF Meet 10/14/06

humanflyz

1) Stax Omega 2: I really liked these headphones; they have IMO the bigggest soundstage in a headphone other than the K1000s. I didn't find it to be too bassy out of the ES-1, although the impact was not up to the level that I would consider satisfactory for hard rock. But these have very good timbre, and the tonality is a little bit dark, but nothing to really complain about. I would not hesistate to build an O2 system if not for the fact that I just can't get them to fit right. I tried rotating the cups and the cushions every way, but just never found a good fit.

2) Orpheus: Between the Orpheus and the O2, I'd say it's a toss up when both are amped out of an ES-1. I could easily live with both. Compared to the O2, the Orpheus had a brighter tonality and a more upfront presentation. It's lively and very fluid. But, I was not really blown away so to speak. On some tracks I actually preferred my K1000s because of its very airy nature. But I have no problem calling the Orpheus the best headphone ever made, because it does give you the best headphone presentation there is, whereas the K1000s give you more of a speaker-like presentation.

3) Grado PS-1: Along with the HP series, the PS-1 is my favorite Grado. I think of it as the ultimate RS-1 experience: it is extremely fun, has deep, controlled, and really powerful bass while not masking the mids and the highs. Whereas the RS-1s can sometimes get a little shouty, the PS-1s preserve the excitement of the RS-1s and take the whole refinement thing up to another level. I would love to own a pair some day if I can.

4) EMM Labs CDSD and DCC2 stack: This is by far, without a doubt, the single most impressive component in the entire meet to me. Digital has never sounded any better. I was having major, major, major gear lust when I heard this combo. It is digital to die for. Undoubtedly the best source I have ever heard. I would probably sell a kidney if it means that I can afford this combo. Listening to SACDs via direct DSD is amazing on this combo, and it is extremely revealing and transparent, which appeals to the resolution freak in me. I'm totally envious of neilvg for possessing this incredible digital source. I swear, I could've listened for hours on this setup.

This is all the stuff that stood out for me at the meet. The rest I either didn't have enough listening-time to say anything meaningful, or I have heard so many times before that I didn't bother listening to them again. One thing I've learned though is that I'm actually really satisfied with my current setup. I was expecting my set-up to be blown out of the water by the likes of the Omega 2s and the HE90s, but I actually didn't not feel bad at all going back to my K1000s. Yeah, I realize that the Omge 2/HE90 does more things better than my K1000s, but that recognition didn't bother me at all. I guess I've reached a place where I'm comfortable with what I have and will upgrade my K1000 setup to the best that I can afford. So that means a FirstWatt F1 is incoming my way, and hopefully a source upgrade as well. But man, that EMM Labs combo...mmmm....it is just incredible.