EnABL process for Grado Headphones / Dynamat Extreme mods

Killercrush

I've read a few times that the EnABL process can be applied to Grado headphones, particularly the metal housings ones. I've had my modded SR100 since mid march and I'm wondering if anybody ever tried that on the black or silver vintage SR325 housings or the MS2/HP1000/PS1 and what were the final results ??

I found this paper to be quite interesting :

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue21/standingwaves.htm

Also, I'm gonna buy some Dynamat Extreme for the housings vibrations dampening, anybody knows where are the key places to apply the black tacky-like substance ?!

Is there anyone who can enlighten me here ? That would be really appreciated ! ^-^

IDK what enable is, but dont put Dynamat Extreme on your headphones. If your going to put a dampening product, use Second Skin Sludge or Spectrum. Much better products; I've used all of them. (albeit in cars, not headphones :P)

Sludge is the thicker version of spectrum, and you can literally grab a dab of it with a glove and slop it on stuff, or take your time and use a paint brush or similar.

For headphones, spectrum would be best imo, since it is thinner, you would paint it on in thin coats, many times, like you would a lacquer.

sludge_glove.jpg

sludge_inst.jpg

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadener/spectrum.php

I hope you didn't rape your sr100's like this guy:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs-grado-sr100-w-hp-1-drivers-goodies-311937/

I recommend a recable for grados. Use some wire known for smooth highs.

Biggie.

That guy's nuts, he bought his pair for ~$660 on eBay & he's trying to sell them for way too much money, don't get me wrong, they're nice cans, but not worth his $950 asking price. I did mod my pair in a similar way but every mods I did are reversible (except for the recable, which was needed because of a lack of solid connections and frankly the old unamed Grado Labs cable is the worst cable ever, I ended up putting the Joseph Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable, which really helped bring out the bass, smoothen the highs and give some more midrange magic). I A/B my regrilled/unbuttoned black SR325 housings with the stock SR100 housings and it's really no contest here, the metal housings did help in bass extension, the soundstage became wider and the whole spectrum became way more natural, no need for these crappy Dark Audio Liberators IMO. I also added a Beyer headband to make the thin Joe Grado headband more comfy.

I'm wondering if I should mod them some more to get the best out of them ?!