Use Slimserver remotely from my work computer

So, how do i do this? Is it possible to access my Slim server from the internet on my work computer....keep in mind that I can't install anything on my work computer.

DNS hosting? Is that what I need? How would I configure it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

thrice

You don't need any kind of DNS hosting, assuming you have cable/dsl I doubt your IP address changes often if at all. What you'll need to do is setup port forwarding in your router to forward the port that slimserver uses (it's port 9000 by default I think) to the machine that you have it running on. Then you can access it from anywhere by going to http://myipaddress:9000

You don't need any kind of DNS hosting, assuming you have cable/dsl I doubt your IP address changes often if at all. What you'll need to do is setup port forwarding in your router. To forward the port that slimserver uses to the machine that you have it running on.

OK, how do I do that?

Thanks tkam, I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Of course I just thought about the fact that I might need a player to route this stuff through as well, I don't think you can play music via Slim server alone, it just can manage the stuff and remote control a player, it doesn't offer playback via your computer speakers/USB port does it?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?ConnectingRemotely

Just found that over at Slim Devices....not sure it's going to work since I can't install Squeezesoft on my work PC.... well, i can ask the IT guy, but I doubt it...we'll see.

Thanks Todd for your help, at the very least I can do this with my desktop and laptop so I can access my library remotely at meets and whatnot via a wireless connection.

The SlimDevices documentation says that you can actually play what it's streaming on a computer by putting the following url in your playback program: http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3 (replace localhost w/ IP address). Now I'm not sure if that means it'll only work for mp3 files?

Well, perhaps I can enter that into iTunes and do it that way? I'll have to play with it when i get home tonight. iTunes allows you to specify stream addresses like that so we'll see.