Short comparison: Tyler Linbrook Sigs vs GMA Europa

tkam

Well I finally have my Europa's back from repair tonight and before they get shipped off to their new owner on Monday I figured I'd take some time to jot down how they compare to my Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Sigs.

When the Europa's were my main speakers probably the biggest factor in wanting to upgrade was a lack of bass. I was able to confirm that lack of bass pretty soon after my comparison began tonight. While the Europa does well with the leading edge of bass notes (for instance bass guitar or kick drums) they fail pretty miserably at having the proper weight behind those instruments.

For comparison sake listening to bass guitars and kick drums on the Tylers is a much more visceral experience. They sound much more palpable and realistic, with the Tylers they sound like actual instruments as opposed to sounding like the reproduction of an instrument as they do on the Europas. It's hard for me to describe this phenomenon but hopefully you get the point.

The Europas bass also doesn't go very deep, they are spec'd to be 50hz -3db and that sounds about right and it's very easy to hear what’s missing when switching back to the Tylers that are good down to about 28-29hz. They are spec'd at 35hz but they seem to gain more in room response than the Europas do.

Another disappointment with the Europas that actually wasn't nearly as apparent as the bass issue is their midrange. I like to hear vocals that are rich, lush and enveloping. I don't get that with the Europas, their midrange while quite accurate is on the dry side of things. So that’s more a preference thing than anything but the Tylers nail it for me.

That’s it for the time being, I'll probably add more thoughts as the weekend goes along.

Round 2....

Soundstaging and imaging... Both the Tylers and the Europas have wide soundstages and precise imaging the similarities pretty end right there. The Tylers have far better soundstage depth and I think largely because of that present a more realistic and cohesive soundstage/presentation that completely envelopes the listener.