Looking for advice on EL84 based amps

shaizada

Hey,

I had the Auricaps in there while I was waiting for the Ampohm caps. I just happen to take the pictures for you while I was in there changing to the Auricaps.

You will see the stock caps when you open the amp up. There is just one cap that is coupled between the two tube sockets. You CANNOT miss it. One from 12ax7 tube socket to the right el84 tube socket and another from 12ax7 socket to the left el84 socket.

There is no way you can miss it. Keep me posted how it goes :)

I still can't believe we have the exact same speaker and integrated amp. LoL

I was asking you about the Leben in an earlier post. If you can share some experience with that, it would be great.

On your question about Leben, I have to say stock Leben > stock Almarro with Super 8 Alnicos. Purely speculative, but it may be the greater power (12wpc vs 4.5wpc) which benefit the Super 8s. Let's see what the cap mod does for Almarro, and I also ordered some Mullards, etc.

IMG_0370.jpg

ok we have bush...the 0.22mF Ampohms (PIO tin foil) went in. thanks Jon L and Shaizada for this one. guess I need to let it cook in for a bit. very simple mod to do, let's see what the sonic benefits are.

(if anyone else is attempting on their Almarro, the first photo already has the stock coupling caps (grey) removed. that confused me a bit, but once you open it up, as SH says, it's evident what caps are to be replaced)

• 2 weeks later...

OK I've let this cook in for awhile.

On my speaker sytem (Super 8 Alnicos), honestly I'm not sure if the cap mod is improving sound, but I've always been enamored by Omega sound signature, and frankly my ears may not be up to the task! However, where I can truly distinguish a difference: prior to cap roll, I never enjoyed headphone out from Almarro; now I truly enjoy running my HD580 and DT880-600 out of the Almarro (HD650 less so).

(don't knock the DT880-600 ohm, I know it's not favored on HC, and I've wavered on selling/not selling, but with proper amplification, it is sublime. It is the only one of the so-called 'mid tier' phones - HD650, DT880, K701/2 that gets me close to the K1000 signature)

p.s.: I see that you're selling your Almarro. If it were 220V, I would consider buying it for a second office system. Good luck!

JimP,

I love the sound signature myself. This really is quite the amplifier. I just need to get some funds to help pay for the Vinyl rig. I didn't think I would be selling this amp as I have the perfect sounding EL84 in it - my beloved Mullards :)

I've contacted Almarro to see what's invlolved in switching the unit to 220v. I'll get back to you if you're still interested.