Klipsch S4i

HiWire

I just got these from a computer store for about $90. Since I got my iPod Shuffle 3G (4GB) last year, I've been looking for a reasonable upgrade from the stock iBuds. The Klipsch X10i were about $280 in the same store, which was tempting, but I thought the S4i were more appropriate considering my "active" lifestyle and my use of lossy compression. It also seemed freakish to buy headphones three times more expensive than the humble Shuffle.

I plan to burn these in at a lower volume and gradually ramp up to normal levels. I rip tracks at 320 Kbps AAC using iTunes, which may not be the audiophile's preferred method, but it works for me. As a reference, I compare the sound of these beauties to my Alessandro MS-1 and Grado HP-2.

My first test album is Olivia Ong's self-titled SACD Olivia, which should be a fairly gentle bossa nova start (it comes in a pink envelope). All of the tracks include Olivia Ong's talented vocals, saxophone, synthesized beats, and an occasional harp.

Next up is DJ Tiësto's In Search of Sunrise compilation. This is good news - the bass doesn't overwhelm the rest of the music and I'm more excited than I've ever been to hear this album. Probably because I can move about while I enjoy the music [dance break - imagine Strong Bad, The Cheat, and Homestar Runner having an old-school rave party]. Rhythm and pace are quick, without any hint of boominess or fake reverb.

The Beastie Boys' Ill Communication was my third test album. My ears are starting to get sore, so I don't think I'll be able to test too many more albums tonight. Since this album is mainly instrumental, I wanted to see how it captured ambiance - that wonderful sense of flow and spontaneity in the Beastie Boys' earlier albums. Well enough, I think. I ended up listening to the album twice.

Alice in Chains' Jar of Flies EP is last in the queue. The Klipsch phones do a great job of conveying the energy in Cantrell and company's guitar playing, but Staley's vocals and the acoustics are still a bit hollow-sounding. I guess it's going to take a while for the drivers to settle.

In the last few days, I've listened to the following albums:

Michael Bublé – Michael Bublé
Blue Lines – Massive Attack
Tainted Love: Mating Calls and Fight Songs – Shivaree
Love Tattoo – Imelda May
Jar of Flies – Alice in Chains
One of These Nights – Eagles
Downward Spiral – Nine Inch Nails
Light Years – Kylie Minogue
Dutty Rock – Sean Paul
Positive – The Grassy Knoll
Hit & Run Holiday – My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult
A Grand Don't Come for Free – The Streets
Smoker's Delight – Nightmares On Wax
The Dark Side of the Moon – Pink Floyd
Piece of Paradise – Sky
Hello Nasty – Beastie Boys
Endtroducing – DJ Shadow
Sir Lucious Left Foot – Big Boi
It's Time – Michael Bublé
Discosis – Bran Van 3000
The Tension and the Spark – Darren Hayes
Mezzanine – Massive Attack
Need for Speed: Underground Soundtrack – Various Artists
The Cream of Clapton – Eric Clapton
Pretty In Black – The Raveonettes
Marry Me – St. Vincent
Sap – Alice in Chains
Supernature – Goldfrapp
The Score – Fugees
My Way – Usher
Tales of the Inexpressible – Shpongle

At low volume, sound quality is similar to the stock iBuds'. I can tell that the highs are well-defined, but bass and a rich midrange have yet to kick in. The overall sound is a bit "plasticky," which doesn't worry me, since most dynamic headphones sound a bit like this fresh out of the box. I noticed that these canalbuds aren't particularly loud – I normally play music at about three bars out of my MacBook to the Alessandros and the Klipsch don't sound close until about five bars. I've noticed the Shuffle's battery drains more quickly as a consequence.

After about a week and a half of listening, the sound has finally changed. This morning, the midrange finally started to come in. Anybody who doesn't believe in burn-in needs to try these canalbuds. I was secretly thinking about exchanging them until this morning. They're still a bit bright in presentation, but music is more enjoyable now – voices and instruments sound more natural. Soundstage isn't much to write home about – stereo effects are good, but I don't think these things present a three-dimensional image or anything.

Using the regular tips, the S4i seem to have about 10-20 dB isolation, with no significant microphonic problems from the cables - I'm wearing them in "Sport Fit," with the cables going over and behind my ears. The tips don't go very far into my ears, just starting into the opening. Comfort is excellent so far. By the second album, I am feeling the slight pressure of the silicone tips a bit. Switching to the small tips, comfort is improved and sound remains the same. I can listen all day if I don't fiddle with the fit.

The cables are fairly thin, using about the same gauge as the stock iBuds and a rubber jacket rather than the fabric-style coverings of more upmarket products. Fit and finish of the 'phones and 3-button remote is excellent - I'll have to be careful to protect them from my accustomed iBud abuse (the iBud cables are grayish and the rubber comfort rings around the buds tore off completely after a year of gentle use).

3 Week Update

I'm listening to my Alessandro MS-1 and it is a truly superior experience. The Klipsch are great for convenience and they are comfortable for wearing over long periods, but they pale in comparison to a set of Alessandros coming out of a PCDP. The Alessandros have a richness, dynamism, and bass presence that are completely absent in the Klipsch buds. I'm hearing details and acoustic cues that simply disappear from the tiny buds' output... it's not a fair comparison, as I'm driving the Alessandros with a gumstick battery that is the same size as the entire iPod Shuffle, but it's nice to have choices. I bought some new music recently and I guess I'm going to enjoy the "new album" experience all over again on a real CD player.

3 Year Update

One thing that I discovered recently – the double-flange oval tips change the character of the S4i's sound. There is less sibilance, less harshness, and more isolation (obviously) if you use the double-flange tips. Soundstage and imaging are about the same. You have to turn the volume up as well... the music is travelling down a slightly longer distance through the tips (versus the single-flange), which is the main contributor to the change. I recommend using the double-flange tips over the singles. They are a bit less comfortable because they go further down your ear canal, but you will get better sound for the same money, provided you can get them in your size.

Otherwise, the S4i sounds about the same after 3 years. The S4i conveys compressed music in a pleasing way, but it lacks the fluidity and involvement of higher-end headphones like the Grados. For example, I was listening to the Zenph binaural re-recording of Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations and the treble notes of the piano sounded slightly artificial (although it was recorded on a new piano with new equipment). Also, they've help up fairly well – the middle button (Pause/FFWD/REW) on the controller doesn't work reliably because it got soaked in a downpour, but it is in excellent condition after years of daily use.

Edited by HiWire