Arcam rDac

bhjazz

OK, so I've had this thing running for about an hour. At first I was meh. It was connected to my dekstop machine (Win7) using just USB, out to the Ventus and the ATH-ESW9s. It seemed so laid back up top. Weird. The ESW9s don't usually sound that way. Neither does the Ventus. Odd. So I swapped out the Ventus for the CKKIII that was behind me. What the hell.

Ah. Better. More musical. More air. Things opened up quite a bit. Then I swapped in the HD600s.

Finally! I didn't expect this combination to work so well.

Of course, we all know about system synergy here, right? This is definitely a case where the reviews I read were off. 'Nuff said. I'm likin' this rDac.

Thanks! Will be interested in your ongoing thoughts. I'm considering this, or that new Peachtree DACit thingy.

Any trouble with computer noise? Something about not isolating due to the USB receiver not being galvanized or something like that. Who knows, maybe it's bogus.

Galvanic isolation. So far, I've only connected the dac to my desktop machine which is an ex-gaming machine. Therefore, the fan noise was a bit much. I'll try the laptop tonight and report back. I was trying to A-B last night just by using the switch on top, but couldn't swap too quickly. The output from Foobar needed to be changed each time. Gah. I'll find a better way.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from work. Currently am connected to laptop using USB out. Using DH Labs cables to a MIllet Starving Student and ATH-ESW9s. Nice combination. I keep finding how sweet the rDac is with midrange and voices. The Imelda May tune Lilac Wine on Jeff Beck's Emotion and Commotion revealed some wonderfully musical tension through the song. As well as her voice. Super nice. Right now I've switched off to a weird catch-all directory of mp3s and flacs. Leftfield's Leftism is pulsing. U2's Pride was so clearly recorded in the studio. Most tunes are revealed in a clean way, while being just a touch laid back with this combination. These tubes might be just a bit laid back for the rDac, but the output is tricky: as soon as I think I get a read on it, another song comes on which is bright and definitely not laid back. Weird.

Good times for a Friday. I'm swamped with work. At least I can rock on.

• 2 weeks later...