Squeezebox question....

KenW

I'm really enjoying the flexibility of this litte source, but it's led me to a decision on my computer setup. Right now, I have all my music on an external HD(2 actually) but it's time to bump up the space available as these are pretty much filled. So, is it better to continue with the external HD connected by USB2/Firewire or should I upgrade the aging HD on my server/desktop? I could bump up the HD on the desktop and keep the external HD's for backups. The desktop HD hasn't given a problem but it is an older drive which for my peace of mind could stand an upgrade. What's the thought?

Btw, anyone got tips on a quick and painless way of cloning my existing HD onto the new one? I don't own Norton Ghost but have heard good things about Karen's Replicator. I've changed out HD's many times but I never really cared about losing data, settings, software, etc before. I'd just do a clean install and start over. Doing that is not an option with this desktop. I need to preserve things as they are. Suggestions appreciated.

IMHO, your best bet is still external drives when it comes to music. My personal preference is the new apple airport extreme, and then hang the drives off of it. Serves out your music via network fileshare, then you have whatever music server get it to your listening environment. That way it's not stuck on your old computer when time comes to replace it.

But that said, there are several options for replacing a drive. Norton Ghost is the one I used back when I used windows. Or you can just add the drive internally and not replace it.

External did seem to be the safest and easiest way of doing it but I wondered about performance? From a safety standpoint, having those music files separate makes a lot of sense.

Don't know much about the Airport setup but would assume it's not Windows friendly? My home network is all PC except for my MacBook Pro and the desktop which will be the designated music server is also Windows based. Something similar that I could add to when space becomes an issue is this unit by Lacie:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822154098

I could pick up 2 of them and be pretty solid for a while. Whaddya think?

External did seem to be the safest and easiest way of doing it but I wondered about performance? From a safety standpoint, having those music files separate makes a lot of sense.

Don't know much about the Airport setup but would assume it's not Windows friendly? My home network is all PC except for my MacBook Pro and the desktop which will be the designated music server is also Windows based. Something similar that I could add to when space becomes an issue is this unit by Lacie:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822154098

I could pick up 2 of them and be pretty solid for a while. Whaddya think?

For performance, music doesn't really need anything faster, honestly.

The airport extreme works equally well with windows, and the network filesharing feature is awesome.

Lacie stuff gets mixed reviews, but mostly good. The real problem is hard drive makers take turns being flakey.

Yes, the airport would replace your existing wireless router. It would then act as your network file server as well as a wifi router. And in the future, when you upgrade to 802.11N, you'll already be ready for it in your router.

Yes, the airport would replace your existing wireless router. It would then act as your network file server as well as a wifi router. And in the future, when you upgrade to 802.11N, you'll already be ready for it in your router.

Just placed an order for one along with a couple more external HD's. Should be interesting bringing my current wireless network down. I put a lot of time and energy into that setup. Having a Slingbox, Squeezebox and remote access all working together is sweet. Now I pull the plug on that and throw the Airport into the mix? Just thinking about it makes my stomach churn. I hope the reviews are spot on and the setup is pain free.

Any advice on firewalls, WEP, fixed IP addys? Surely it can't be as easy as the reviews say can it? I'd love to think so, but not 5 minutes after placing the order, I'm dreading the change over. Gah, what have I done!?!?!

It's very easy to set up. If you write down the settings for your current router, it will be relatively painless to transfer those settings over to the airport. And then add the network file sharing feature.

It should arrive Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I'm assuming it's gonna play nice with my zonealarm firewall and VNC software? I'll get the user manual online. I'd love to get a peek and see what I can expect.

The real problem is hard drive makers take turns being flakey.

This is so true. I had a real hard time deciding on an external HD to buy, because the reviews were so scattered on different brands.

FWIW I went with a Seagate, and it has been excellent. I don't use it so much anymore except for backup though.