June 30, 200719 yr comment_36005 Just because my turntable only has one headphone out, this prevents me from having to pull cables every time I want to listen to a different amp. Does a preamp actually do anything to a signal, or is it just a fancy switchbox? This has always confused me. Report
June 30, 200719 yr comment_36009 A preamp does amplify the signal. I'm pretty sure the melos has a tape out, which doesn't do anything to the signal. So use that. Report
July 1, 200719 yr Author comment_36010 A preamp does amplify the signal. I'm pretty sure the melos has a tape out, which doesn't do anything to the signal. So use that. cool, thanks. Report
July 1, 200719 yr comment_36011 the line outputs certainly go thru the tube and a pair of fet outputs so there will be a definite sound to those outputs. It is unclear from the schematic where the tape outputs are wired to http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/melos.jpg Report
July 2, 200719 yr Author comment_36068 Just for fun, I ran ICs from the preamp out to the dynahi, then the tape out to the dynahi. The line out definitely sounded different, and was run through the Melos volume pot, i.e. I could still control the volume from the Melos. With the tape out, the volume pot on the Melos does nothing, and the sound is unaltered. Looks like the tape out solved my wiring problem, thanks to hungrych and kg for the help. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.