Cambridge Audio 840c Impressions and Comparisons

tkam

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your 840c! I've had one for a few months now and like it a lot, though initially I found it to have a bit of upper-mid glare with some discs (mostly original instrument stuff) and re-tubed my amp accordingly. It's an excellent all-rounder and a real bargain, if not the prettiest player around.

best,

k

Congrats on your 840c! I've had one for a few months now and like it a lot, though initially I found it to have a bit of upper-mid glare with some discs (mostly original instrument stuff) and re-tubed my amp accordingly. It's an excellent all-rounder and a real bargain, if not the prettiest player around.

best,

k

Some intital impressions from people in their rigs had me bracing myself for maybe a brief period of "dryness" or "too bright" but I didn't even have that out of the box.

There is something to be said about burn-in with this player as well and I'm typically a skeptic or at least neutral when it comes to that concept.

I can honestly say that I know that I'd have to spend WAY more than the $1395 I did on this thing to get APPRECIABLY better audio quality and even by then we start getting into some serious law of diminishing returns.

I couldn't be more thrilled. For me, the gap seperating my CD collection vs. the relative handful of SACDs I also owned has just been narrowed considerably.