Any Deadheads on HC?

JimP

IMG_0318.jpg

My deadicated bedside GD system - RCD971 (HDCD) --> Earmax Silver Edition --> HD650. Sounds pretty sweet! Interesting to note: some of my GD purchases are FLAC downloads from dead.net. I burn them to CD-ROM using BURRRN, and the CD retains HDCD (HDCD light goes on). Can't be bothered to test methodically if HDCD really improves sound or not, but I'm really enjoying it.

Saw 11 (or was it 12?) shows in the late '80s. Stopped going to shows after getting repeatedly ripped off (including having my buddy's car ransacked in '89 outside Alpine Valley). I stopped listening to the Dead because I started to really hate Deadheads ("can we please listen to something that is not a bootleg").

Came back to The Dead about a year and a half ago. I really enjoy the early studio albums (through American Beauty) as well as Europe '72. I have just started to explore the Dick's Pick's and From the Vault stuff, but I'm not sure how much I want to dive back in. I realized that my hatred of self-indulgent baby-boomers and dirty smelly hippies should not distract me from some great music.

We lived in Marin County (Novato) in the 60's and my dad had a Volkswagon repair business so we knew every hippie around pretty much.

The Dead's place was just a few mile up the road towards Petaluma.

Mickey Hart bought an old Porsche and painted it flat black and I remember he got a vanity plate that said "Warp X" which I thought was wicked cool being a big Star Trek fan myself (I was maybe 9 years old).

He brought it to my dad to fix it and they became friends for awhile and they would come hang out and we went to their place a few times.

I didn't know who they were at the time but I remember Mickey gathering the kids around the campfire and telling us a spooky story involving his dog Glups. Glups was a scary mean dog and Mickey said that he picked up a hitch hiker once and the guy got in and went to pet Glups and Mickey warned him not to touch him but the dude said "all dogs love me" and went to give him a hug. At this point Mickey paused and for dramatic effect and then said "Glups bit his nose off!". We all gasped and he said "yeah it was just hanging there by a thread and I had to drive him to the hospital". I asked my Mom several years ago if that story was true but she didn't know. Glups was real enough. I remember driving to their place with my Dad in our VW van and when we got there my dad shut off the engine and looked around and asked me if I saw Glups anywhere. I said no and he got out but about 10 steps away from the car here come Glups running around a corner. I never saw my Dad move so fast as he ran and jumped back in.

My Mom also told me once about being at a party at their place and their manager, somebody named deFrancisco or something like that put a plate of Coke under her nose and she laughed (my mom was a hippie at the time and smoked some pot but nothing harder) and it blew the coke off of the plate and he got a little pissed about it but everybody else just laughed.

I really liked their song Truckin but was more into bands like the Beatles and Steppenwolf and was on the verge of discovering Led Zep so I was never a big fan myself.

My Mom also told me once about being at a party at their place and their manager, somebody named deFrancisco or something like that put a plate of Coke under her nose and she laughed (my mom was a hippie at the time and smoked some pot but nothing harder) and it blew the coke off of the plate and he got a little pissed about it but everybody else just laughed.

Are you sure you didn't get that from Annie Hall

Yes, quite sure. Didn't even know there was a scene like that in Annie Hall.

My Mom told me about that only once: it was about 5 years ago when I asked her if the Glups story was true or if Mickey was just telling a scary story for the kids. My Mom is not one to embellish or exaggerate, btw. Nor am I for that matter.