Need configuration suggestions. $500 budget.

Eric5676

The two sources are: An Oppo DV-980H and a PS3. The PS3 has no analog outputs as I'm sure everyone knows.

I need a headphone amp or some kind of hybrid setup that can handle both of those sources at the same time. Ideally, the Oppo should be connected via left and right analogs for SACD and DVD-A playback and the PS3 would have to be connected via optical output.

This is for my sister who's ready to start getting more serious about headphones now that she is using my AKG 701s while I've moved to the Sennheiser 800s. :)

Ideally, she doesn't want to spend more than about $500 if it can be helped.

Ideally, I would steer her towards something like the Gilmore Lite...but then I run into trouble with that PS3.

Gamma DAC full and M^3 is definitely in that price range and I think would make a very decent mid-fi system. Just not going to have very strong bass from the Gamma. A pico DAC and M^3 would be a pretty slick combo, but you would probably have to find a used M^3.

Gamma DAC full and M^3 is definitely in that price range and I think would make a very decent mid-fi system. Just not going to have very strong bass from the Gamma. A pico DAC and M^3 would be a pretty slick combo, but you would probably have to find a used M^3.

Gah, forgot the m3 was in that price range.

The gamma/m3 was my main setup for a little while and while the bass isint strong, its very good and extended. :)