Tonight, I'll be making new lambskin earpads for my new vintage electrets

Tonight, I'll be making some new ear pads for my new vintage electrets. The electret arrived with ruined pleather pads. No pleather left, only uncomfortable fabric. As a downside, the fabric ruins all the deep bass. My first attempt to restore the pads wasn't a success. They ended up a bit too small for the baffle. I'll be making them (or try to make them) with a bit bigger diameter, to reach further out on the baffle.

They are to fit onto here:

x13g.jpg

And the old pads measure like this:

x1pads.jpg

Thank's!

The first step is the template. It's the same diameter as the baffle, but the oval hole is smaller. (This was the design of the stock pads. I assume the design was ok.). I also made one template with 5mm extra on each side, to give me some room for mistakes. (That's the top side of the pads. The small one goes on the bottom.) It's a bit dirty because it's been sprayed with spray mount, to make it into a post-it-template. I used it also for the foam. The glue made sure it didn't move around.

x1padsstep1.jpg

Next step is sewing the inner seam. That's easy, I just turned the pads inside out and made the seam. (This is also the design of the original pads, and other pads that I've seen.)

x1padsstep2.jpg

Then, it's time to reverse the pads. I've first sprayed the larger pad side as well as both sides of the foam with spray mount. This makes it easier to work with, since things stay reasonably put.

x1padsstep3.jpg

As you can see the pads aren't too wrinkled now when I can start with the outer seam. Wrinkles must be avoided since they become extremely uncomfortable rock hard bumps. (Probably I'll not be able to finish this tonight, but it's a start.)