Who's Buzzing?

My Edit Profile page looks nothing like the illustration in that blog entry, and I still can't find the "show the list of people ... in my public profile" checkbox. So for now I'm not buzzing, and my profile says only that my superpower is irritability. Despite this I have one follower, a 'Heather' whom I've never heard of (and whose pic looks like a Second Life avatar unless I miss my guess).

So irritable guys, take heart. Apparently there are women out there who are into us. Though they might be purely virtual.

This is a little off-topic. But since this is the closest thing to a social-networking thread I've found here, this is where I'll post it.

A blog post whose title contains the words "Facebook" and "login" turns up high in the Google search results for the words facebook login. The blog post's comments are full of people who apparently got to the page via a search engine and thought they were on Facebook. And then tried to log in. And then complained about not being able to. The fact that it looks nothing like Facebook did not give them sufficient pause to make them have a look around and figure things out. They were trying to log into Facebook, and this unwanted page had shown up; what was Facebook thinking?

Seriously, go have a look at those comments. It's mind-boggling. Even if you give the benefit of the doubt to every single comment that could be interpreted as ironic, sarcastic, or trolling, there are still a stunning number of people who misidentified the site, tried to log in, got angry, typed something, and hit Submit before engaging their brains.

No wonder phishing attacks work.

It's not like I'm unaware of how many nitwits post without thinking. I've seen my share of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAtBki0PsC0, and others. But this instance of Idiocracy-come-true has me honestly groping for words.

Credit where due - found this via John Gruber, who commented, [url=http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/02/11/facebook-login]"All this argument over whether the iPad is too simple

Ouch. If making computers more simple for users leads to having even more bumbling persons like those (who also seem to desperately wish to share their personal information at least on facebook) have access to the internet, I can only think that phishing is going to keep increasing. Maybe this is what we get for always telling newbs to just fucking Google it.

Another thought, I'm pretty happy they don't enable java and flash at least by default for the iPad with all of the security holes they introduce, not to mention pron doesn't have the most trusted of domains.

Imma buzz dis. :P