Which one of these notebooks should I purchase?

I'm trying to decide on a notebook. I haven't purchased a computer in a long time and I am really confused by all the new processors.

I intend to use this notebook for web browsing, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, music (iTunes, foobar, running SqueezeCenter), ripping/burning cd's and dvd's, and hopefully be able to watch HD videos without dropoffs. I also like being able to open several tabs in Firefox/IE at once without slowing down. In other words, everyday tasks just no gaming or video editing.

I don't have much money so my budget is around $350. I know that makes my selection very limited, but I saw these refurbished notebooks from Circuit City/Tiger Direct that seem pretty nice for the money. And it would really help me to buy from them as shipping is free, no taxes or environmental fees for me in CA, and they offer 15% Bing Cash Back.

So anyway, here are the choices:

Acer Aspire Timeline AS5810T-8929 Refurbished Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Solo ULV SU3500 1.40GHz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" LED, Vista Home Premium 64-bit

This one is about $365.47 after BCB. I know the processor is ultra low voltage so it's not powerful, but it should be better than the Atom in netbooks. But I have no experience with either processor so I have no frame of reference. Will this one have trouble doing what I need it to do?

I like that this one offers nearly 8 hours of battery life and is pretty thin. I also like that it stays cool. But if it's too slow to do what I need then I would pass. Also I would have to upgrade to Win7.

Gateway NV5207U Refurbished Notebook PC - AMD Athlon 64 X2 QL-65 2.1GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" LED, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

This one is the same price as the Acer, but it has Win7 and a dual-core AMD processor. I understand the processor is a bit old and not the greatest performer though. And I've heard it gets pretty hot and the battery life is disappointing. But if this one can do what I need and the Acer cannot, then I would just deal with the setbacks.

But if the Acer can perform the tasks I noted, then I would probably go for it.

Any opinions? Feel free to make other suggestions, but in the same price range please.

Thanks.

The other difference is the Intel IGP versus the Radeon HD3200. They are both integrated and share system memory, but the HD3200 will allow some basic gaming. I have managed to run HL (60FPS), Batman AA (20-30FPS with lowered resolution/ detail) and WoW with everything set to medium (1280x760) at around 40 FPS outside cities and 20-30FPS in crowded areas. I could drop the detail more and get better FPS but its def playable.

I have the second one and it is a decent laptop. It performs relatively well but battery life is meh and the AMD is not a bruiser. It works best as a plug it in, set it on a desk type of laptop. The $500 range really opens up some options.

Thanks for responding.

I really need to keep the price as low as possible. I know $500 isn't that much more, but I was reaching with the $350 mark in the first place. I know I could probably find an adequate more powerful desktop for cheaper, but I figure I don't do a lot of cpu intensive tasks and I'd love to have the portability. At the same time, I need something a bit stronger than a Netbook.

So for the tasks I mentioned above (web, music, occasional HD video viewing), is the Acer w/ Core 2 Solo (single core) enough? Like would I be able to have a couple Firefox tabs open, a Youtube vid going, and burn a cd at the same time and it still be functional?

I came across a deal for an eMachines notebook from Wal-Mart (I know) for $298 that everyone is talking about on the deal sites. I figured I was too late and they would probably be all snatched up, but to my surprise there were several at my local WM so I picked one up this morning.

Here's a thread discussing it with the specs:

eMachines Laptop: Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400 2.2GHz, 15.6" LCD (1366x768), 3GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, DVDRW, WiFi, 6-cell, Win 7 Prem 64-bit $298 - SlickDeals.net Forums

It has a dual core Intel Pentium T4400 2.2 Ghz and Windows 7. The rest of the specs are not mindblowing (no HDMI, no webcam, no LED backlit screen), but I guess it's good for this price. Plus it's brand new and not refurbished.

I haven't opened it yet because I haven't made a final decision. But I wanted to get it before it sold out just in case. They have a 15 day return policy.

The cons are the notebook itself isn't as attractive or slim as the Acer Timeline. It's definitely not as portable and the battery life pales in comparison.

Pros are with the dual core Pentium, I would never have to worry if my computer would be too slow. Also it's new and already comes loaded with Win7. After taxes/env fee, this laptop is about $33 cheaper than my two options from Circuit City/Tiger Direct. It's funny because all 3 of these notebooks are made by Acer, just rebranded in the case of the other two.

Do you think I should keep it or return it for the Acer Timeline? Is the dual core processor and Windows 7 pre-installed of the eMachine enough to put it over the 8 hour battery life, LED screen, webcam, 1 more gig of RAM, HDMI output of the Acer Timeline?

Mostly I'm just stuck on the difference in the processors. I have no idea about the real world performance gap between a Core 2 Solo SU3500 single core processor vs. a Pentium T4400 dual core. Do I even need a Pentium dual core if I'm not gaming? Believe me I've tried to research this. I've heard many opinions saying either a) have to get dual core or B) if you don't do gaming and other intensive apps, single core is fine.

I guess the Core 2 Solo scores a 3.5 on the Windows Experience and the Pentium T4400 has a 5.5. Again, I'm not really sure what that means for my uses.