Using Pico amp/dac as dac

shellylh

I would like to use the Pico amp/dac as a DAC, connected to my powered computer speakers. I tried measuring output voltage by connecting one of my multimeter (set to AC voltage) to the 1/8" output and the other to ground (while playing 60Hz tone through the computer but having no headphones/speakers plugged in). I was getting readings that were really low when the volume was low and it got about to 2V on high gain about 3 o'clock. Does this seem correct (who knows if I was doing it right)? I decided to trying using it as a DAC with the volume at 12 o'clock and and the gain on high. There seems to be enough volume for listening at my desk. Is there a correct setting to get a "true" line out? I was a little afraid to turn the volume up to 3 o'clock on high gain when connected to the speakers... probably for no good reason.

Edited by shellylh

I would like to use the Pico amp/dac as a DAC, connected to my powered computer speakers. I tried measuring output voltage by connecting one of my multimeter (set to AC voltage) to the 1/8" output and the other to ground (while playing 60Hz tone through the computer but having no headphones/speakers plugged in). I was getting readings that were really low when the volume was low and it got about to 2V on high gain about 3 o'clock. Does this seem correct (who knows if I was doing it right)? I decided to trying using it as a DAC with the volume at 12 o'clock and and the gain on high. There seems to be enough volume for listening at my desk. Is there a correct setting to get a "true" line out? I was a little afraid to turn the volume up to 3 o'clock on high gain when connected to the speakers... probably for no good reason.

You could measure the point where the overall gain of the headphone amp section is 1x, but i don't see the point. Keep it on low gain and put the volume around 2.