Outlaw RR2150 has landed.

Knuckledragger

I spent the last two hours disassembling my old bedroom system, cleaning out the area where it was, and installing the new gear. There was, ahem, a lot of dust behind stereo shelf (and I wonder why I have such allergy problems :palm:). The old system was my father's: Yamaha receiver, CDP and Pinnacle speakers, all purchased in 1997. The CDP is still in the new system, but it is serving primarily as a surface to hold up the RR2150. I never really took any pictures of the old system, as it wasn't very interesting. This is the only shot I have:

3267969335_34f6639800_z.jpg

As an aside, the new Flickr interface is a nightmare to use. Click through for notes on what's in the photo.

I lugged a recently decommissioned pair of Yamaha NS-1000s from my HT system upstairs and plunked them down on either side of the Outlaw. They're 65 lbs each. I know, just weighed the damn things. The Yammy's are a far older design than the Pinnacles, but they are a great vintage speaker that I know well and love greatly. Supposedly, their midrange driver sells for a small fortune on the used market. No, I'm not cannibalizing any of mine. They are much wider than the Pinnacles, and lack any sort of bass port. Right now I have them right up against the wall. That might change in the future, but not by a significant degree.

The RR2150 is a slick looking unit. It has a restrained, art deco feel to it. There's a single blue LED lit when the unit is in standby mode and a blue LED display when it's on. Both are a deeper shade of blue than the majority of the LEDs I have seen in consumer electronics. They are also not overpoweringly bright, which is a blessing. I'm more than sick of being blinded by home electronics (I'm talking to you, Quad.)

So far I have wired up the Outlaw and plugged in the speakers. There's an awful lot of additional futzing to do (plugging in the CDP and iPod dock, attaching the FM and AM antennae, etc etc). Right now I am listening to iTunes AAC files (V0 equivalent) playing through the Outlaw's USB DAC and it sounds remarkably good. Of course, I'm barely into the honeymoon stage. It'll be some time before I can offer any serious evaluation of the RR2150 sound. Bass response seems pretty significant, but that has a lot to do with the NS1000s, and my proximity to them.

At some point later, I'll dig up one of my spare SL-1200s and try out the phono stage. I also have the daffy idea of taking my GLite out of cold storage and plugging it into the Outlaw's preamp outputs. Picture of the new setup will show up Real Soon Now. There's, uh, a bit more cleaning to do first.

As an aside, the new Flickr interface is a nightmare to use.

ugh, why did i start paying for flickr pro last month.

Just in case you guys aren't aware, you can still go back to the previous interface (and I did). I'm hoping whenever they roll out the new interface for good, they leave us the option to keep using the old interface.

On topic, congrats on the new toy!