USB DAC's

elnero

Mainly due to a desire to try an amp with a more linear volume control I've picked up a TTVJ Slim with DAC, a Pico Slim amp and I'm looking at picking up a DAC only Pico all to compare with my current Pico DAC\Amp. To be honest I've been quite happy with the Pico DAC\Amp's performance so I haven't really paid much attention to the market over the last couple of years, is there anything else out there in a reasonable price range that I should be looking at?

My preference is for something fairly small, battery or USB powered, that I can cart back and forth between work and home every day but depending on how the amp side of things shake out those requirements might not be as strict.

• 1 month later...

Well I have had the above items in my hands now for a few weeks, for me the clear winner out of those is the Pico Slim and Pico DAC combo. If I get a chance I may write down some impressions of the different pieces and combinations if anyone cares to read them.

In addition I threw a bit of wild card into the mix by borrowing a friends Headroom Ultra Micro Stack with the uber Headroom PSU. I think the Ultra DAC pairs really nicely with Pico Slim and offers a rather different perspective than the Pico DAC. Seeing as the Ultra Micro DAC is AC only though it kind of goes against the type of system I've been using the past few years but it and a few other things have got thinking about building a home rig again which bring about a whole set of new questions. How does the Ultra Micro stack up against other similarly priced DAC's (the new Arcam rDAC come to mind) and what would one get and pay to significantly better it? Another thought would be to save my pennies to put towards Justin's new X2 with the USB DAC option, has anyone heard this DAC yet?

I wrote my last post rather quickly while on my lunch break, it was kind of a thinking out loud post which when I reread it I thought I should try to clarify it a bit better. I think the post gives the impression that I like the Ultra Micro DAC better than the Pico which isn't the case, in my opinion they both offer a different perspective on the music, the Ultra Micro is a bit faster, more forward with more up front detail while the Pico is warmer and richer sounding with more depth. The audiophile in me likes what the Ultra Micro offers but the music lover in me is drawn in by the Pico. While I like the Ultra Micro I'm not sure it's different flavor offers enough to justify buying one for a home setup, my feeling is if I do decide to build a home rig again I'd want something that's clearly a step up on the Pico preferably something that offers the best of both worlds if such a beast is to be found at a reasonable price.

When you say the Pico, do you mean the Pico DAC/Amp, or the Pico Slim amp/Pico DAC-only DAC combination, or other?

Because I seriously need to find a quality USB DAC/Amp for work, and right now (and by 'right now', I mean, before your previous post), the winner based on having heard nothing is the Headamp Pico DAC/Amp or wait for the X2.

When you say the Pico, do you mean the Pico DAC/Amp, or the Pico Slim amp/Pico DAC-only DAC combination, or other?

Because I seriously need to find a quality USB DAC/Amp for work, and right now (and by 'right now', I mean, before your previous post), the winner based on having heard nothing is the Headamp Pico DAC/Amp or wait for the X2.

Yea. The thing that piques my interest here(about the X2) is the "async" part. Just going from my own experience and experimentation with stuff. I'm sure we'll know more soon enough(maybe)?

Sorry, to clarify, out of the portables I've been trying the Pico Slim amp and separate Pico DAC for various reasons came out on top. I then threw the Ultra DAC paired with the Pico Slim amp into the equation more or less because I had the opportunity to borrow it and I was curious how it would stack up against the Pico DAC. I do have the Ultra Micro amp here as well but I haven't really played with it much because it doesn't really interest me and from a quick comparison I much preferred the Pico Slim.

Yea. The thing that piques my interest here(about the X2) is the "async" part. Just going from my own experience and experimentation with stuff. I'm sure we'll know more soon enough(maybe)?

That's grabbed my interest but it also appears Justin is making provisions for low impedance/high sensitivity phones/IEM's. The GS-1 is still my favorite amp that I've owned/heard so the fact that the X2 is based on that same design I also find very intriguing.