Airport Express Popping

blessingx

Maybe you have external interference. Can you try changing your wireless channel? You can also use AirPort Utility to modify the Wireless Network Options to turn on "interference robustness". That may reduce your bandwidth, but improve reliability. It's a setting specifically on the individual units (base station and AirPort Express). I currently have it unchecked.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave this another go today. I have all the latest firm/soft-ware, using older b/g AE from jp#s. I have the AE, and it hubs internet to 4 laptops from a comcast cable modem connected via ethernet. I tried both analog out and toslink to my ancient 1990's dac, and no pops or clicks that I can hear.

The problem I had before(with clicking) was the wrong sample rate output on my computer playback device properties. wrt popping and clicking, bit depth makes no difference, and never has with anything I've used, new or old.

Thanks for testing. After four nights in a row spending several hours, I've backed off for a bit. Plus have the Squeezebox Touch to fall to. Suspect it's the DSL modem/router doing something to the network (as problem existed even without a wireless network active), but waiting for energy to redebug.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Have you solved the problem with your Airport Express?

I have the same issue and have tried everything, it's driving me nuts!

Four different APX all with the same problem. I have tried:

1. Flashing units with different firmware. From 6.3 and up to 7.5.2.

2. Playing trough analog out.

3. Playing trough digital out.

4. Using my iPhone to play the music.

5. Using Airfoil to play the music.

6. Change wireless channel.

7. Using Ethernet cable.

8. Using surge protector with built in filter.

9. Using a "safety transformer" (galvanically isolated).

10. Re-ripping the CD.

11. Playing the CD in the computer and sending the audio to APX.

12. Tested it at my work.

13. Restore APX to factory settings.

This doesn't seem to be a widespread issue since this one and a couple of others are the only threads i could find on Google on this problem.

This thing is driving me crazy! Any ideas?

//cseknc

Well, I suspect it was my AT&T modem router, though never tested in a different building. I was going to next test various IP settings, but to be honest with the Squeezebox Touch as backup I haven't returned to debugging. Plan too, just haven't.