Just one good game.

Tyll Hertsens

Check the reddit frontpage. There will be a post there each day of the sale with a lot of advice on what is hot and what is not. I got audiosurf today for $1.49. Totally worth it!

Thanks, found it eventually, here's the link for todays':

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ik5ll/steam_summer_camp_sale_day_9_useful/?limit=500

Also, if anyone wanted mass effect 1 or 2, they're on sale for $6.80. I just picked them up!

• 3 months later...

A little late to this thread, but I'm heavily into gaming and virtual surround sound headphone gaming.

My favorite so far is Battlefield 3. Hands down the best audio in games so far. They render all audio internally at 32bit floating point. And they took the time to sample actual weapons fire at different distances and environments. And you can really hear the difference.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/02/28/war-tapes-the-sounds-of-battlefield-3.aspx

I've used the Astro A40 gaming headset before, but the audio quality was lacking because, I like most Head-Casers here have overkill headphones compared to "gaming headphones".

I ended up attaching a Zalman clip on microphone to a long bendy pipe cleaner and attach it to my HifiMan HE-6 when I play games to chat.

For virtual surround sound, I used to use my Smyth Research Realiser, but mainly use my JVC / Victor SU-DH1 with it's Dolby Headphone encoding. Takes an optical input directly from the XBox 360.

Basically, if it's not an HRTF based processing for virtual surround sound, I don't even bother checking it out. Having multiple speakers spaced a few inches apart inside a headphone ear cup is not going to magically make virtual speakers appear several feet in front of you.

Now for surround sound gaming on PC platform is another messy topic. Very retarded, not home theater friendly. I can' t believe they haven't made significant progress in over 10 years.

-Ed

I remember I was stupefied the first time I played the first Call of Duty game (graphics obviously now sub-par by today's standards). Nonetheless, the sounds in that game are crazy good. I haven't played it in years, but still have the CD's. It was the first game that made me think "dang, this is too real!"

For context, it provoked in me the same impression that watching the beginning of Saving Private Ryan did the first time I saw it at theaters. But this is all from memory, though. I'd have to reinstall it to see if it sounds as awesome.

NOTE: and I speak of playing the game in story mode, not online gaming. Everything is choreographed in game story mode (soundwise).

Edited by screaming oranges