Camcorder suggestions?

jinp6301

Hey guys! I dont know anything about video recording so hopefully I can get some help from you guys.

My parents have been looking for a good video camera that can record for more than 2 hours of high quality HD video on a single charge. They've been using the 5d mkii as a video camera but its limited by the 10-12 min limit per recording (for HD video). The video camera doesnt need to have any pro features like xlr inputs or anything but a 3.5mm mic input would be pretty nice. Budget is up to $1.5k (for something thats high quality and built well)

Thanks!

The Canon HF G10 is on the top end of that price range and the battery lasts for just under 2 hours. I haven't actually used a camera that exceeds 2 hours of battery life on the standard battery. You can buy extended batteries for it, but they are exceedingly expensive ($100-$200). You could get a cheaper model like the $1000 HF S20 (which is also quite good) and leave room for the high capacity battery in the price.

That said, if they're serious about video and have really been using a 5D II, the G10 might be the better option. The S20 is good, but not professional level.

Edited by revolink24

I just bought this one at Costco on thursday. Sony® HDR-CX160 HD 16 GB Flash Memory Handycam® Camcorder

It has mic in. It was $449. Cheaper than Amazon. So far I am happy with it. You can get bigger batteries for more time. You can recharge it though the USB if needed.