Ti OPA827 (and possibly 2827)

TheSloth

I saw this in a post somewhere and assumed it was a typo, but it is in fact real.

Here's a linky to the page: http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/opa827.html.

Aparently an upgrade to the 627. I'm a big fan of the 627 (I know, it's just an opamp, discrete rules, yadda yadda), so I'm quite anxious to hear what this new flagship is all about.

There was a thread about this on that other headphone forum a while back and the few people that studied the data sheet agreed that there were marginally better specs compared to the 627. The one downfall that I see is that it does not appear that TI will produce the chip in a dip8 package.

Ah, I dont read that forum very carefully these days so I'm a bit out of date. Never mind, news to me anyway!

Actually, there wasn't much discussion of it other than one person had gotten a hold of a sample and tried it in a PIMETA and said that to his ears it sounded very similar to the 627. I don't take a whole lot from that statement other than the fact that I'd very much like to hear more about the chip and what it's capable of. I don't think anyone considers the PIMETA the ultimate test rig. :) So I say bring on the chatter.

Actually, there wasn't much discussion of it other than one person had gotten a hold of a sample and tried it in a PIMETA and said that to his ears it sounded very similar to the 627. I don't take a whole lot from that statement other than the fact that I'd very much like to hear more about the chip and what it's capable of. I don't think anyone considers the PIMETA the ultimate test rig. :) So I say bring on the chatter.

Well I would be surprised if it didn't sound like a 627. From the specs it looks like a 627 with a bit more of everything, spec wise. What that adds up to, sonicially, if anything remains to be seen.

I think in some ways what is most interesting is the 2827. Brown dog adapters are fine, but I think its great to be able to get that sound quality (or most of it) in a dual package. I know they said no new modules, but I think HeadRoom should replace the 2134's in the Home Module with 2827's, and the 627's in the Max with 827's (assuming there is an improvement, and even if there isn't, on principle!). They might even be able to throw some in without the class A bias in the Desktop Module. That's a hefty upgrade to the product line without any R and D cost - just swap the opamps on the production line (and some added parts cost). Are you listening over there in Bozeman ;)?