Mini meet at a local store

aerius

It's true. I heard Massive Attacks Group Four on a pair of $12k speakers in an absolutely insane setup... Audio Aero CDP [i think], EAR preamp and Gamut power amps. With all sorts of power/RFI tweaks of course, not to mention the room treatments. I am not sure which brand the speakers were, but I am sure that Eaphan knows.

I got a little taste of vinyl, which was great and think I will be buying a Debut off of the dealer at some point. I happen to have 4 6H30's that are not in use at the moment and am presently looking for DIY phono stage designs. >:D

I will be getting my Amp back tomorrow night and am hopeing that I haven't really been ruined by that hi-fi rig I heard. Peter got it fixed up incidentally. Apparently some sort of grounding issue or something... all I know is he said it had something to do with the LED, the faceplate and the input stage. Figure that one out. :D

Anyways, he listened to it for 3 hours last night after he got it fixed up and said to me, "You know, these headphones of yours are really good." :)

I had a great time at the shop. I still can't believe the time warp we stepped into. I swear we were in the place for an hour or so, but it was 5pm when we entered and 10pm when we left.

- Jay

It's true. I heard Massive Attacks Group Four on a pair of $12k speakers in an absolutely insane setup... Audio Aero CDP [i think], EAR preamp and Gamut power amps. With all sorts of power/RFI tweaks of course, not to mention the room treatments. I am not sure which brand the speakers were, but I am sure that Eaphan knows.
So...it was good?

So...it was good?

Yeah, it was sweet. Audio Aero Prestige CD/SACD player, EAR preamp, Gamut amps, Opera Divina speakers, it's a pretty sweet system. Analog setup was a Nottingham Dais turntable with Anna arm and Van den Hul Grasshopper IV cartridge. The turntable setup is ridiculously fast & clean while remaining quite musical, the music wraps around and basically, there is no front to the soundstage. It's like wham, here's a dude with a guitar like 3' to the right of me, and another time it was bird chirps and monkey calls coming from behind me. The first time I heard that setup a couple months ago I was like this can't be real, where the hell are the hidden speakers? I'd like to own the system one day, but I'd have to sell a kidney and a lung.

Let's see,

speakers aound $12k

CDP $16.8k

amp ~$7k

preamp - no clue probably $5-10k

turntable & arm ~$10k

cartridge - no clue

cables - probably a couple grand

power conditioning & RFI prevention - a lot

My rough ballpark figure with loads of guesswork comes out to something like $65k or thereabouts.

What vinyl did you guys spin? The owner must be really nice to let you guys hang around for 5 hours :)

Played some Talking Heads and Depeche Mode, and I can't remember the others. The owner's a great guy, he's a member of the local audio club and he's hosted a few small meets at his store in the past. Lots of amazing gear in there, Quad ESL 57's & 63's, Lowthers, Wilson Benesch, Opera, Audio Aero, and more turntables than I can count. Every single drawer & cabinet is also stuffed full of LP's, you could probably spend months in there listening 24/7 to vinyl before going through them all. 8)

Played some Talking Heads and Depeche Mode, and I can't remember the others. The owner's a great guy, he's a member of the local audio club and he's hosted a few small meets at his store in the past. Lots of amazing gear in there, Quad ESL 57's & 63's, Lowthers, Wilson Benesch, Opera, Audio Aero, and more turntables than I can count. Every single drawer & cabinet is also stuffed full of LP's, you could probably spend months in there listening 24/7 to vinyl before going through them all. 8)

Damn sounds incredible. Gear aside a drool worthy vinyl collection would be sweet.

It was definitely a great time. I loved his comment after 'Group Four' finished... he said, "Why can't I walk into a room at an audio show and hear someone playing that instead of Norah Jones?" :D

PS. The amp is back and in working order. Not to downplay the fun I had with those speakers, but Massive Attack is most definitely not ruined for me. ;)