The Joys Of Being Nude

postjack

I've seen nude Van den Hul cartridges and I'm like "damn it would suck if I had shaky hands". This one doesn't look quite as bad since there's actually a way to hold on to it without using tweezers. How's the sound on it?

Yes, handling it is like walking on eggshells. I couldn't imagine not having the small handle to maneuver it with. I just have to be real careful that I don't lower the arm with the stylus too close to the edge of a record. :o

As for the sound, I'm quite pleased. I was complaining in another thread that I felt the overall setup sounded too bright, but I started vomiting shortly thereafter, and I realized I had food poisoning. Also I had just quit smoking a few days ago. So the fever and nicotine fits made everything sound bright.

Now I'm a couple of weeks away from my last cigarette, and I switched out the tube in the Bellari phono stage with an Ei 12ax7e gold pin. Finally the cart is beginning to sound similar to how I've read elsewhere: smooth n' lovely midrange, with extremely realistic sounding vocals. Contrary to being bright, the music is actually missing a bit of sparkle in the highs, but detail here is fine, so this is acceptable to my ears. The bass is typically nice and big, but can be a bit bloaty in spots, but not to the point where it overwhelms anything else. Instrument separation and sound stage is wonderful.

My gripes are minor. I wanted an analog rig that could at least hold its own sitting on the same table as the 999es, and the Technics has proven itself worthy. A well mastered SACD on the 999es could still beat the pants off of it anyday, though. 8) But it is a LOT easier to get good sounding cheap records then good sounding cheap SACDs.

• 1 month later...

A cartridge?? Talk about a disappointment after reading a subject line like that. :(

well I'm working on some pics of myself running naked through a wild, green field; the long, soft blades of wind-hewn grass caressing my thighs and buttocks...

...but on this website we just talk about audio, right? :D

well I'm working on some pics of myself running naked through a wild, green field; the long, soft blades of wind-hewn grass caressing my thighs and buttocks...

...but on this website we just talk about audio, right? :D

You paint such a picture! I'm sure it will be more than worth the wait! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I had a Benz Micro Glider for a while, and it made me SOOOO nervous I just couldn't take it. I ended up selling it. I'm afraid of being nude! ;)

Well, for my new analog rig I'll be going with the DV 10x5:

10x5_400w.jpg

Plus I'm getting the dealer to install and properly align it for me before he ships it.

And I've ordered some Onzow Zerodust at a significant discount from a guy at the sh.tv forum who is from Tokyo. This will be the only way I'm going to clean my stylus. No more magic eraser for me!

The Zerodust is the best stylus-cleaning "thingy" ever to come down the pike. It truly works.

Glad to hear you are a fan! It looks totally idiot proof. Seeing dust pile up on the stylus drove me insane, which is why I think I ended up dinging up the Stanton. I tried to do the ME thing on the toothpick, then I tried to use tweezers to pull the dusty hairs off the cantilever.

The cool thing about the Zerodust is that you don't have to work very hard (as in your post above) to get the stylus totally clean. I use a little StyLast "preservative" still before every play, but that and the Zerodust is all I use to clean the stylus now. Gone are all the other brushes and various other crap for stylus cleaning.

Of course, I wet-cauum clean my records with a VPI 16.5, so they aren't that dirty to begin with ;D

Of course, I wet-cauum clean my records with a VPI 16.5, so they aren't that dirty to begin with ;D

Yeah, I've got a Nitty Gritty that gets the job done. :) What cleaning solution/brushes do you use? I'm considering ordering some of the Disc Doctor brushes and cleaning solution.