What's the deal with radial speakers?

humanflyz

I've been curious about how a radial speaker works and what are its supposed advantages or disadvantages when compared to traditional, forward-firing box speakers. Something about the idea intrigues me, although I've never heard a radial speaker before.

More specifically, I'm thinking of about this: http://www.decware.com/newsite/RL15.htm. Interested in this because of its reported synergy with the FirstWatt F1. I was first turned on to Decware through aerius, who posted a link to one of the articles on that site regarding room treatment.

It's just an alternate target market. I'm one of them. My ultimate speakers are probably going to be omnidirectional. The biggest thing for me is that I can wander around -- sweet spot is not focused. When I listen to speakers, I tend not to be in one place.

There's also:

Gallo Reference line and Due (their little spherical satellites don't count as omnidirectional)

Shahinian Acoustics (entire line)

MBL (entire line)

Duevel (entire line)

Mirage (many)

and there's an Italian one that I don't remember.

My problem is, I'm very particular as to the sound -- I like the Spendor S3/5 / Quad 12L sound a great deal.

The bad thing is, omnidirectional speakers are even more sensitive to room interaction than front-shooters are. I've been told by more than one person to just get a dipole.

I wouldn't recommend them unless you need omnidirectionality. If you want a bigger sweet spot, just look at the dispersion characteristics of speakers that interest you anyway. Martin-Logan, for example, have excellent dispersion. Final do not.