Turntable guru's... advice needed!

philodox

Hey Guys,

A head-fi'er larryminator is bringing a couple turntables to the Toronto meet that look interesting: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248953

What do you think of these two offerings? I know next to nothing about vinyl, but Thorens seems to have a good name, and the other one looks pretty nice. I've talked to the seller through PM and have been reading his posts in the meet thread and a few Grado threads and he seems to be a good guy. Is the price good? They look to me in nice shape, and it would save me delivery. Since Ray and Peter are coming to the meet, I am sure I will have enough people on hand to make sure it is setup properly. I've asked him if I can audition them at the meet and decide then... hopefully he doesn't get any more certain offers before the meet rolls around. :)

Right now I am thinking of going with the Thorens, unless that other table sounds a lot better.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

i'm certainly no guru, but the thorens td 166 does get praise in the vintage turntable world. straight tonearms also typically get more respect then curved tonearms (says the guy with the curved tonearm having turntable). The Ariston is a snazzy looking 'table, but I've never heard of it.

Lucky for you, you get to listen to them first! i'm sure you'll let us know what you decide. :)

Lucky for you, you get to listen to them first! i'm sure you'll let us know what you decide.
Yeah, good point... and I will definitely update here on what I decide. :)
The TD165 (which is the higher model) can be had for around the same price.
Good to know. Part of what is attractive to buying at the meet is that there would be no shipping cost or chance of the TT being damaged en route. It also seems to have a decent cartridge, which is more than I can say for most of the deals I see on ebay.

Back in the 80?s I sold both brands. At the time at any given price point the Ariston clearly outperformed the Thorens. The Ariston pictured dates from the early 80?s or late 70?s, I?m not sure about the Thorens.

Unfortunately Ariston went belly up in the early 90?s, this means that most replacement parts are now made out of unobtainium. I believe Thorens parts are significantly easier to come by.

I bought my Ariston RD11s used in 1983. It needed a new motor, which Ariston sent for free, even though I was not the original owner. The table has worked perfectly ever since (I still own it). Although parts for the Ariston may be scarce, the link with Linn is important. I needed to respring the Ariston suspension a few years ago, and found out that the same spring is still used in the suspension of the Linn LP-12. A set of three set me back $6.00, including shipping. It would not shock me to find that Ariston and Linn tables have other parts in common.