Rega Planet or Planet 2000?

riceboy

I'm a newb when it comes to CD players and I was wondering what is the differences between the 2? I was going to use it connected to my DAC1 to play CDs instead of playing my CDs from my laptop. Right now my laptop with HD-DVD player is okay, but I'm worried about how much jitter it may be producing. I was hoping to get a decent CD player to play regular CDs. I was thinking about sticking with my DAC1 and just using my laptop CD player since the DAC1 should help cutdown on the jitter, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance :).

well, the 2000 is a newer design than the regular planet. from the perspective of using either just as a transport, they should both be pretty solid. i hear a noticeable difference between using my computer as a transport and the CDPro2 in my Audio Aero, so i wouldn't be surprised if you get a nice boost using one of the Regas.

Thanks EdipisReks for your help. I'll definitely be looking to get one soon I hope (depending if I could get one on Audiogon or Ebay).

:mikey2:

...what is the differences between the 2? ...
The 2000 is supposed to be a little bit better, but if you're going to be using whichever one you get just as a transport, then I'd get the earlier one, because (a) it should save you at least a hundred; and (B) I've had one, and can guarantee it is an excellent transport. I actually really like it's sound, but I understand it doesn't have the best detail. But certainly plenty of prat.

We did an A/B (nonblind) actually directly on the Rega 2000 vs. Rega 2000->Benchmark, and I couldn't tell the difference. Hirsch ended up liking the Benchmark better (or so he claims), and I think Dave liked the Rega by itself better (I think because he couldn't tell the difference either). IIRC.

The 2000 is supposed to be a little bit better, but if you're going to be using whichever one you get just as a transport, then I'd get the earlier one, because (a) it should save you at least a hundred; and (B) I've had one, and can guarantee it is an excellent transport. I actually really like it's sound, but I understand it doesn't have the best detail. But certainly plenty of prat.

We did an A/B (nonblind) actually directly on the Rega 2000 vs. Rega 2000->Benchmark, and I couldn't tell the difference. Hirsch ended up liking the Benchmark better (or so he claims), and I think Dave liked the Rega by itself better (I think because he couldn't tell the difference either). IIRC.

Thanks Dusty Chalk for your impressions and insights. I'll try and pickup a Rega Planet (earlier model). I know those go pretty quickly on Audiogon, but I'll be on the lookout for one.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to give an update. I ended up picking up a Rega Planet 2000. It was a good price and I couldn't pass it up. So far as Reks mentioned it has been a nice upgrade from playing it directly on my laptop through the DAC1. I really like it and I'm happy with the results so far. Thanks for everyone's input on this :)