HD580 advice

ronnielee54

I have had the oppritunity to audition these cans twice. Once unamped out of ipod and once with an iBasso P1. Was dissapointed both times. Knew I would be with them unamped. Not quite as dissapointed with them out of the P-1 but something was still lacking. Have since upgraded to AE-2 and was wondering if this amp would be more suited for them (no longer have cans avilable for auditioning). Have found a couple of really good deals on used ones (around 120 USD shipped). Not much to loose and could always resell if I didn't like results. Would be used mostly for Blues or older Rock (no metal).

The AE-2 should be fine. I really listened to that amp for the first time at the recent Florida meet, compared it to a stack of others, and was impressed. The only two I favored over it were the PRII, and the SR-71. The 580s sound better with better amplification, but so do many headphones. I don't think they suffer as much as the 650s do with portable amps. One of my first rigs was the 580s and a microamp. It kept me happy for a long time, but then I discovered headphone forums, went to a meet, and :kitty:

I don't know -- I'd be hesitant if I were you. I mean, I agree that they were not the best sources/amps that you tried them out on, but the infamous Sennheiser house sound ("laid back") was there -- that may have been what you disliked.

Though, at US$120 -- you could probably flip them if you still didn't like them for minimal financial loss to you.