Question of HP direct balanced XLR out from miniDAC/DAC1 etc

JimP

Still enjoying my Hd580 wired for direct balanced out from XLR out of my miniDAC, find it useful to move around from room to room in the house. Couple of questions:

1. You always see threads about HD580/600/650 used in this manner to good effect - just curious, any other headphones that respond well to running direct XLR out of these type of DACs?

2. Typical full-size HP's terminate in 1/4" plugs - are there such extenders that are female 1/4" (to plug the normal headphone into) to 2 x 3 pin XLR (to connect direct to DAC)?

3. Would like to try balanced on my k271s. It has detachable mini XLR at headphone end. Possible to replace this with balanced cables that go to 2 x 3 pin XLR?

No intention to harm the stock cables on my L3000/W5000/K1000, but I thought it may be fun to fiddle with my HD650/K271s (HD580 was acquired with balanced cable hardwired.

I have two K271S, as I needed closed solution at various locations, however, one's just been lying around collecting dust.

If you could pull it off, that would be awesome, miniDAC XLR out to balanced K271S -- a real compact, transportable and rugged system -- maybe get a camera type case to lug it around location to location.

Not sure how it would sound, but I'm willing to sacrifice one of the pups. Hardwiring and drilling holes would be OK. will PM you.

btw happy new year everybody

If you could pull it off, that would be awesome, miniDAC XLR out to balanced K271S -- a real compact, transportable and rugged system -- maybe get a camera type case to lug it around location to location.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/minidac.php?show=accessories

http://www.headphone.com/products/system-bags/headroom-complete-headcase---black.php

And remember, you can run your Mini-DAC off of an external battery pack.