Which 6bx7?

hungrych

I'm about to buy a pair of 6bx7gt's for my old skool toaster MPX3. First of all, will it's psu even be able to handle them? Second, what are some good ones? I'm probably gonna buy them matched from tubeworld.com, if there's a better dealer that takes paypal tell me! :P

Would you recommend the "O" or "D" getter halo tubes? And what brands? They seem to recommend the GE branded amperex and RCA tubes, but then again they're selling them...

I just got my first set last week and have a couple more in the mail. So far I have the O-getter RCA's and they're now my 2nd favourite tube behind the RCA grey glass VT231.

Not as warm and intimate as the 231, but shares the same big soundstage and imaging, and with better dynamics in the bass. It's more neutral and has more drive which is great fun for rocking out, but on female vocals it doesn't quite have the magic "holy crap I just got tongued!" quality. Overall a nice tube, recommended by me. Not sure where to buy'em though since I found my set at the local surplus store and vacuumtubes.net only takes credit cards AFAIK.

I just got my first set last week and have a couple more in the mail. So far I have the O-getter RCA's and they're now my 2nd favourite tube behind the RCA grey glass VT231.

Not as warm and intimate as the 231, but shares the same big soundstage and imaging, and with better dynamics in the bass. It's more neutral and has more drive which is great fun for rocking out, but on female vocals it doesn't quite have the magic "holy crap I just got tongued!" quality. Overall a nice tube, recommended by me. Not sure where to buy'em though since I found my set at the local surplus store and vacuumtubes.net only takes credit cards AFAIK.

Cool, that sounds about like what I'm looking for; more dynamics, more rockin'. I'll try to get some warmth back by experimenting with gain tubes I guess.

Guest sacd lover

All tall bottles. BIG SOUNDSTAGE is an inherent trait. These tubes are atleast as powerful as a 5687 even running at 300 volts. Running at 400 volts, like in my Supra I had optimized for them, they will drive anything high or low impedence. I have about 50 so pm me. I will never use that many and I likely have every type ever made. I will also 99% likely, want less than the tube dealer you contacted ..... since you are a head-case buddy. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget the 6BL7GT or 6BL7GTA. The Sylvania 6BL7GT is very nice as output, with Tung Sol 5687 as driver (using adapter). 6BL7GTA and 6BX7GT will both have higher current output than the 6BL7GT, but will also put more demand on the heater power supply. Mikhail has been experimenting, and can probably tell you which (if any) amps might need to be beefed up to handle the higher current output tubes.

Guest sacd lover

Don't forget the 6BL7GT or 6BL7GTA. The Sylvania 6BL7GT is very nice as output, with Tung Sol 5687 as driver (using adapter). 6BL7GTA and 6BX7GT will both have higher current output than the 6BL7GT, but will also put more demand on the heater power supply. Mikhail has been experimenting, and can probably tell you which (if any) amps might need to be beefed up to handle the higher current output tubes.

The 6bl7gta sound horrible at 300 volts. But if you up the voltage and bias they may be the best sounding tube of the three. The 6bl7gt is a very nice tube at 300 volts where hungrych old chassis mpx3 is running .... as is the 6bx7gt. My MPX3 SLAM SE will be running at 425 volts and about 55-60 ma bias .... depending on which of these three tubes are in the amp. I prefer the 6bl7gta at the higher voltage / bias setting .... so far .... with the my Supra 392. I personally like the tall bottle 7n7 best as the gain / driver tube.

The 6bl7gta sound horrible at 300 volts. But if you up the voltage and bias they may be the best sounding tube of the three. The 6bl7gt is a very nice tube at 300 volts where hungrych old chassis mpx3 is running .... as is the 6bx7gt. My MPX3 SLAM SE will be running at 425 volts and about 55-60 ma bias .... depending on which of these three tubes are in the amp. I prefer the 6bl7gta at the higher voltage / bias setting .... so far .... with the my Supra 392. I personally like the tall bottle 7n7 best as the gain / driver tube.

One question, the transformer on my amp is 95va with 600 volts @ 100ma DC secondaries, but it's still 300 volts right?

Guest sacd lover

One question, the transformer on my amp is 95va with 600 volts @ 100ma DC secondaries, but it's still 300 volts right?

The amp has 600 volts available but its regulated down to 300 volts. That 300 volt choice was for the 6sn7gt tubes that were the original tubes used in the amp. He could up the voltage on your amp anywhere up to 600 volts. But the tubes respond best to a combo of increased voltage and bias. 392volt operation at a 56ma bias is heavenly on my Supra. :angel: