Lavry Headphone-Out... How about with Audio-Technicas (L3k/W5k)?

Nanoha

Hi guys,

I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread since the DA10 is a source, but it has a headphone-out. Since I'm referring to the headphone-out, I guess it goes in the amps section. :P So. Has anyone tried the DA10's headphone out with a high-end A-T? Actually, I'm basically looking for a $1000 source + amp setup for high end A-T's so that if a 45th anniversary headphone comes out, I'll be ready. :D (And if not, I'll just get a W5k.) I can't afford the matching amps (HA-5000 for example) or else I would only need to look for a source. ;D The DA10 is just one of the many options I'm thinking about. Well, I don't want a setup along the lines of Zhaolu -> Dynahi. >:D

Ah, thanks for the reply IronDreamer. ;)

I just have a few general questions about the Lavry that doesn't pertain to specific headphones per se.

- Will connecting the XLR analog out directly to balanced headphones damage the headphones (both high and low imped) in any way? (Tiberian already answered this for me I think. It shouldn't. :P)

- Can you use the headphone out and the analog outs (RCA or XLR) at the same time sort of like a loopout? (I'm assuming no.)

- Does the Lavry have a built-in peak limiter? Actually I don't know the proper terminology, but basically some sort of feature that protects your equipment from sudden spikes in volume (signal?). For example, signal spikes often occur when you're using your computer as source and you're fastforwarding a video file or when you want to go to a specific time in the video and you drag your progress bar to that second. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? :P Actually, this may turn out to be a totally separate question.

- What settings do you guys use?

- What is the general quality or sound signature of the headphone out and the analog outs?

Just one more question. What would be a comparable amplifier? (As in, similar in quality or perhaps signature to the Lavry's headphone out or XLR out.)

Haha sorry, the forum wouldn't let me edit. ;)

Ah, thanks for the reply IronDreamer. ;)

I just have a few general questions about the Lavry that doesn't pertain to specific headphones per se.

- Will connecting the XLR analog out directly to balanced headphones damage the headphones (both high and low imped) in any way? (Tiberian already answered this for me I think. It shouldn't. :P)

- Can you use the headphone out and the analog outs (RCA or XLR) at the same time sort of like a loopout? (I'm assuming no.)

- Does the Lavry have a built-in peak limiter? Actually I don't know the proper terminology, but basically some sort of feature that protects your equipment from sudden spikes in volume (signal?). For example, signal spikes often occur when you're using your computer as source and you're fastforwarding a video file or when you want to go to a specific time in the video and you drag your progress bar to that second. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? :P Actually, this may turn out to be a totally separate question.

- What settings do you guys use?

- What is the general quality or sound signature of the headphone out and the analog outs?

2. yes. 3. no 4. volume at 16 and everything else at default. 5. transparent, clean and dynamic

2. yes. 3. no 4. volume at 16 and everything else at default. 5. transparent, clean and dynamic

Ah, so loopout. And sweet, I like my stuff transparent and clean. Awesome. Thanks Tib!

• 2 weeks later...