Looking for good baritone sax records

Voltron

Following up from Reks' cool trombone-music thread, I thought I would throw out a request for more jazz titles led by or featuring baritone sax. I came across a random but cool website, http://www.jazzbarisax.com/ that has some great leads and such, but this crowd has some good musical taste and knowledge. Here are a couple of my own favorites to start off:

Serge Chaloff:

611Z46GZ8QL._SS500_.jpg

sergecd.jpg

Gerry Mulligan:

uhsacd2017giant.jpg

659582_500x500.jpg

James Carter featured with the Ginger Baker DJQ2O (Denver Jazz Quintet to Octet):

coward%20cover.JPG

That last disc is a favorite in general and James Carter wails on the first track, Cyril Davis, and three other cuts as well.

So, whadya got?

Great - another wallet breaking thread :D

Well I've got alot more tenor sax albums than baritone, obviously. I'm not surprised; it takes a lot of lung power to play the baritone. I played it a few times in middle school for 1-3 week increments for school concerts, migrating from my usual alto sax. Its really something else, and takes all you've got. I had great lung power after playing though.

I'm listening to this right now (came in the mail today)

2529531448_c9b6f59efa.jpg?v=0

Pepper Adams - Encounter!

There is some great interplay between the thrust of the baritone w/ the smooth tone from Zoot. Zoot has such a velvety smooth tone, at least on everything I've ever heard of his (which isnt that large of a sample pool, admittedly).

I haven't heard this yet, but Jimmy Giuffre (as mentioned on that site above) is both a clarinetist and a baritone sax player. This selection has some baritone on it, as well as tenor and clarinet (all Giuffre) and guitar + bass.

2528711525_9270e8c88b.jpg?v=0

I'll have to poke around on my collection for more.

**edit: I think I have several more selections from both artists coming in the mail...will report back :) **

• 2 weeks later...

Gerry Mulligan & Chet Baker have great synergy as musicians.

They have a very telepathic interplay that employs great care and finesse, while being delightful & surprising.

Gerry Mulligan has an authoritative understanding of theory, while Chet Baker plays by ear, and the way that they play off of each other which makes even the most familiar jazz standards seem exciting & new.

Unfortunately, for the most part their recording quality sucks.