EAR Yoshino Acute CD Player

One of the sources I've been considering upgrading to for CD playback. I'm trying to find out if there is any sort of digital input, which would eliminate the need for the Bel Canto, and free that up for another rig. I haven't seen anything about inputs, only outputs.

If anyone knows if this has any sort of digital input, I'd appreciate you mentioning it. Thanks.

2801712666_331860da8f_b.jpg

From the few available reviews, the EAR seems to have a good tone. Especially in the mids.

In SACD players, the general thinking seems to be that Emm Labbs has better tone than Ayre and Esoteric.

I've seen at least one review say that he prefers the EAR redbook to the Emm Labbs SACD.

Also, one review said the display is the only thing left un-fooled around with. New transformer-based outputs and analog filters were mentioned.

I also really dig the tone of my HP4.

My local audio shop has an Acute, there's no digital input on it. I haven't had a chance to listen to it as much as the Capitole, but it's definitely in the same ballpark as far as sound is concerned. Way better than the Prima CD player.

Thanks for putting that issue to rest for me. I was hoping for an input for computer playback, in a perfect world. :(

The reviews do seem to be pretty positive.

have you heard it? you are the source meister, so i would love to hear your opinion on it, if you have.

I've heard it against the Prima DAC with Artemis Labs SP-1 amps and Reference 3A MM de Capo i speakers. The short summary:

The Prima has a slightly larger soundstage but the Acute seems crisper & more focused with the imaging, need more listening time to be sure. Both have serious depth on the soundstage, Acute isn't quite as wide though. The de Capos have limited bass so it's pretty much the same for both down there, Acute has a slightly nicer midrange, the tone's a bit richer. Highs I don't know, the speakers don't have enough treble resolution to tell. Overall detail & resolution is very close, I couldn't tell one way or the other with the system.

I guess the easiest way to explain it is this. Take a photo and load it up in Photoshop, that's the Prima DAC. Dial up the saturation a bit, that's the Acute.