Audition Impressions: Monitor Audio RS8, PSB Image T65

Asr

Visited a local dealer today to audition some speakers before heading off to RMAF.

Source component: Marantz DV6001 (DVDP)

Amplifier: Marantz SR5003 (A/V receiver)

The dealer had a sweet setup, a bunch of speakers were all lined up against the wall and there was an electronic switch panel to switch among them at will. Speakers I listened to:

- Monitor Audio RS1 (bookshelf)

- Monitor Audio RS8 (tower)

- PSB Alpha B1 (bookshelf)

- PSB Image T55 (tower)

- PSB Image T65 (tower)

Scattered impressions:

First I'll start by saying I vastly preferred the Monitor Audio RS8 among all the others. It took a while for me to develop the preference, there was a wow factor that got in the way with the PSB Image T65. The T65 was a whole lot of punchy bass, and it had a huge, direct mid-range that was like an assault on the ears. A very theatrical-sounding speaker and I immediately felt it's probably a great speaker for movies.

I started out casually switching between all five speakers but shortly realized there was going to be a time black-hole if I didn't start eliminating some, so I spun a reference CD, Andrea Parker's Kiss My Arp, to eliminate the ones that sucked at low bass. These included the Monitor RS1, PSB Alpha B1, and PSB T55. I stopped listening to these speakers after I ran through some tracks off the CD.

So it was between the RS8 and T65, and I certainly was knocked out by the T65's mid-range and bass - they were omnipresent and filled the room with authority. However, in comparison to the RS8, it had a really narrow soundstage, as if it was projecting a 20-30 degree radial off its axis. The bass also went out of hand on several occassions - it was punchy but it also seemed unnecessarily boomy, and there was a complete lack of control on it. I hate lack of bass control and this quickly got on my nerves. Oh it was fun, I gave it that, but I want more than just "fun" from Porcupine Tree (In Absentia) and The Crystal Method (Vegas).

The RS8 took a significantly more laidback seat than the T65 and sounded downright conservative in comparison. It didn't "rock out" quite as well (and required more amp volume to rock), but it had a much larger soundstage that spread out radially very nicely. There was a much greater illusion of the speakers "disappearing" with the RS8 than any other speaker in the room - the music filling space, with absolutely no sense it was being pushed from somewhere. The RS8 also sounded clearer than the T65, with no muddying of mid-bass or lower-mids, while the T65 did sound muddy in that area. The RS8 also had a very balanced frequency response and very controlled bass - maybe a little too controlled, at times I wished it had more low bass.

The RS8 impressed me but it didn't bowl me over. I suspect it would've bowled me over if it had been fed by a better source and amplifier...

And now, post-first day of RMAF 2008, I can also say that all five speakers sounded better than two speakers that I heard at RMAF. Which is pretty sad, considering all five are under $1.5K MSRP, and the two I heard at RMAF cost thousands. And I can also say that while I can hear the benefit of very expensive speakers, the difference can range from slim to land-slide (as in, you'd have to be tone-deaf to not hear the difference). There's definitely a cost-benefit ratio somewhere... ;)

The PSB T55 was a definite let-down. For a floorstander - with 6.5" drivers especially - it had very weak low bass. The RS1 and Alpha B1 had an excuse being bookshelves, the T55 had none.

I was also hoping the RS1 to sound good based on some reviews I read, but it didn't perform that great and seemed a bit hollow in the mid-range.

• 3 weeks later...